[WG: I18N & L10N] Having a locale as default for others in the same language

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Fri Jul 11 07:23:26 PDT 2014

I would agree with Sam,

There are 5 countries that have a French specific locale setting and all
are in Europe; Belgium, Switzerland and Luxembourg. [1] I'd have to guess
all of those countries would take fr_FR over fr_CA but if they took fr_FR
as it was, they would also have to accept date formatting (which may or may
not be the same) as well as currency and other internal formatting. Or
they'd have to take their fr_* setting and have it fall back to English
since there is no fr available instead.

This was the problem with es, but it was worse because there are 20 es
countries, and they for sure have more non language variations and
significantly more overlap with (most likely) es_ES. I think the same could
be said for Arabic as well.

I don't have any investment in French specifically either (as I did with
Spanish), and maybe nobody from the French speaking areas of Belgium or
Switzerland want to run Sakai, but if I was voting, I'd say that fr_FR is a
better fallback for everyone (fr_CA) included that English. And to
accomplish that without an fr fallback seemed to be a technical challenge.
I'm personally happy with fr_FR being the default Sakai fr language. Just
as I'm happy with en_US being the default Sakai en language. (And es_ES
being the default Sakai es language)

I think those are just decisions that need to be made without trying to
compromise on minimum coverage. Maximum coverage with individual overrides
is easier. ;)

[1] http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/javase7locales-334809.html