[WG: I18N & L10N] New proposal for Accessibility documentation and localization

Neal Caidin nealcaidin at sakaifoundation.org
Wed Apr 10 08:37:23 PDT 2013

[i18n, a11y lists]

Hey All,

A few of us had a conversation "off line" and came up with a new plan. See what you think?

The purpose is to move the Accessibility documentation out of Sakai CLE to make it easier to update, until we come up with a sustainable online help tool (hopefully this - https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/HELP/Future+plans+for+The+Knowledge+Base+Tool, but I digress) . We want to make this process as i18n friendly as possible.

Plan
------------
* The Accessibility group will maintain the help documentation in Confluence for now (until a sustainable solution is implemented for Sakai online help)
* There will be a separate Confluence page for each translation which is made
* The English page will be clearly marked as English and the link to the page clearly denoted as the English page
* The first link on each translation page (including English page) will be a link that will point to a Confluence page containing a list of links to all the available translations
* In Sakai CLE the English help documentation for Accessibility will be something like :

"The following URL is provided for people with disabilities who would like to experience the accessibility enhancements of Sakai.
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/2ACC/Sakai+2.9+Accessibility+Documentation+English"

[Note from Neal : we might want to simplify this further and have it say something like "Please click here for Sakai CLE accessibility information." That is considered better linking style these days., but this is a tangential issue.]

* Within Sakai CLE each translation of the Accessibility help documentation (one or two sentences as per above) will point to it's own Confluence page with the translation of Accessibility help information. For example a Spanish translation in Sakai CLE will point directly to the Spanish Accessibility page in Confluence.

* The Accessibility group will create the page in Confluence for the new translation and provide the link to the translator(s) so that they can include it in their Sakai translation.

Comments welcome. Please indicate support or concerns by this Friday, April 12, so we can make a decision. Thanks!

Cheers,
N2L