[WG: I18N & L10N] Longstanding I18N problem printing Chinese characters

Beth Kirschner bkirschn at umich.edu
Fri Sep 30 06:03:46 PDT 2011

There's been a long standing problem generating PDFs via FOP for Chinese and Japanese characters. The following two JIRAs describe the same problem in two separate tools (Schedule & Site Info):

The problem seems to be with the language coverage by the dejavu-fonts.org project, which still doesn't support Chinese & Japanese characters. Options to resolve this include looking at an alternative to dejavu-fonts.org project, or allowing an option to include additional fonts (see SAK-13686). If anyone has the time and resources to take a look at this long-standing problem, I know it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
- Beth