[WG: I18N & L10N] utf-8 & csv

Nuno Fernandes nuno at ufp.edu.pt
Wed Mar 3 00:36:17 PST 2010

Hi David!

We also suffer from CSV/UTF-8 problems so, in the specific case of
Gradebook, we went back and grab the code for exporting XLS. Yes, Gradebook
did provide exportation for both CSV and XLS so we just inverted the
commit(s) that disabled that on a previous release. I guess XLS export was
disabled back on 2.5...?

We are using this patch in our 2.6.x based instance:
https://elearning.ufp.pt/sakai-patches/2.6.x/Gradebook_UFP-38.patch

Overall, we do always prefer XLS instead of CSV because of poor/inexistent
I18N support in CSV (mainly in Windows).

Best regards,
Nuno

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 4:20 PM, David Horwitz <david.horwitz at uct.ac.za>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> (sorry for the cross posting) While investigating SAK-15480 & SAK-15479
> that both deal with problems experiences with csv exports that contain
> utf8 characters, I discovered the following:
>
> 1) The csv spec only specifies unicode
> 2) Ms office (at least on Win) doesn't support utf8 in csv
> 3) openoffice (at least on *nix) does support utf8
>

> In the case of the roster it seemed that the easiest was to switch the
> export to actually export a xls sheet, as this is probably what most
> users expect. Does anyone see a problem with this? and any reason the
> same solution shouldn't be used in gradebook?

Nuno Fernandes

Profile    | http://facebook.com/nfgrilo | http://linkedin.com/in/nfgrilo
Web      | http://codingwithcoffee.com | http://twitter.com/nfgrilo
Work     | Analyst/Programmer @ UFP-UV [http://elearning.ufp.pt]