[WG: I18N & L10N] Sakai 3 Internationalization Forum

Beth Kirschner bkirschn at umich.edu
Tue Jun 15 16:27:21 PDT 2010

I'd like to thank everyone who was able to come to today's Sakai 3
internationalization forum. We reviewed "the good, the bad & the ugly"
of internationalization in both Sakai 2.7 and Sakai 3.0. Since Sakai
3.0 represents an opportunity to get it right the first time, I'm
sharing the internationalization goals we discussed that we'd like to
promote for Sakai 3:0. This is a working list, so please comment and
add to this list as appropriate (also posted it at http://confluence.sakaiproject.org//x/cg4QB)
:

* High visibility of I18N problems and solutions within Sakai 3 UI
developer community
* Encapsulation of all user text (other than content) within the user
interface
* Support for unicode and right-to-left languages
* Support for (dynamic) user language/locale preferences
* Support for user timezone preferences
* Support for localized dates, times, and numbers (input and output)
* Support for localized mixing of static & dynamic content that
respects subject/verb/object ordering
* Support for localized person names
* Support for coordinated language/locale preferences between Sakai 2
and Sakai 3 hybrid installations
* Support for run-time translation updates
* Support for an easy-to-use, centralized translation server
* Support for validation of localization of widgets
* Support for global translations that can be leveraged by multiple
widgets (such that translations are not duplicated amongst widgets)

In order to achieve these goals, several ideas were suggested:

* Create reference implementations of widgets that demonstrate above
goals
* Take a look at the dynamic, database backed translations developed
by rSmart (tech demo's Wednesday evening)
* Create a "debug language/locale" similar to Sakai 2.7 and unit tests
for verifying correct widget localization
* Leverage http://translatewiki.net/wiki/Main_Page as a centralized
translation server
* Seek funding, in the form of grants or mini-grants to help achieve
these goals
* Migrate all widgets to use jquery.i18n.properties plugin (http://codingwithcoffee.com/?p=272
)