[WG: I18N & L10N] Filenae sorting in Sakai 2

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Thu Apr 15 07:13:27 PDT 2010

Hi All,

I was looking into:
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-467

In which Matthew Buckett reported that sorting of files and folders in
contentHosting is case sensitive. I looked into this also aware that
there are i18n problems with many sorting methods in Sakai. Now the sort
method is designed to mimic Windows explorer and Mac finder when it
comes to sorting files with numbers in the names:

file
file01
file1
file02
file2
file10

The sorting should also be case insensitive. Now I can see no easy to
fix the case problem in the sort method or make it obey locale specific
sort rules. Both of these can be done by using java.text.Collator in the
process eliminating 50 lines of Sakai code, but we then loose the
sortign behaviour described above.

What do people think?

David