[WG: I18N & L10N] www.sakaiproject.org i18n and l10n

Shoji Kajita kajita at nagoya-u.jp
Fri Jul 10 12:32:48 PDT 2009

Hi Anthony and I18N & L10N WG:

Let me summarize the possibility of i18n and l10n (especially,
Japanization) for www.sakaiproject.org. In the following, I assume
that Japanese version's FQDN of www.sakaiproject.org is
ja.sakaiproject.org.

  1. Sakai Foundation provides us a hosting service of Tomcat and
     MySQL instances for ja.sakaiproject.org.

  2. To begin with, Sakai Foundation duplicates (exports and imports)
     the latest data of www.sakaiproject.org for the one of
     ja.sakaiproject.org.

  3. Ja Sakai Community members who have signed CLA (Contributor
     License Agreement) in Sakai member institutions that have signed
     CCLA (Corporate CLA) translates the contents.

  4. Sakai Foundation gives some of Sakai Community members (at least
     me) the SSH access right to the (virtual) machine Tomcat instance
     is running, in order to start up and shutdown the instance.

  5. The synchronization between www.sakaiproject.org and
     ja.sakaiproject.org is managed through Jira, by creating a new
     issue to let us know that www.sakaiproject.org has modified and
     the translation is required.

This solution is not scalable when supported languages increases and
the modifications occur frequently. So, the consensus in i18n BOF was
that this is a tentative solution.

Please point out any misunderstanding and lack of explanation.

Best regards,
Shoji in closing session