[gradebook2-dev] Assignment & Gradebook2: Duplicate Gradebook Items causes issues

Jihane Najdi jnajdi at exchange.vt.edu
Mon Sep 26 10:07:20 PDT 2011

Gradebook2 version: 1.4.1 - Assignment Version: 2.7.1

We've been experiencing some problems with assignments associated with Gradebook items that have the same title. While Gradebook is not supposed to allow duplicate items under "No Categories", items with the same title can be under different categories.  Since the Assignment tool uses the item title as the primary key to retrieve an item, the existence of  multiple records throws an exception.  Additionally, any change to an item title after an assignment is created causes unexpected behavior.

While the Assignment tool was initially designed to work with the Core Gradebook tool, it seems that a change is needed to support this feature of Gradebook2.  One solution is to modify the Assignment tool to start using Gradebook Item ID instead of the TItle.

We are currently working on a fix for it but we would like to get your feedbacks.

Thanks,

JIhane Najdi
Virginia Tech