[gradebook2-dev] GRBK-1056, GRBK-404

Jon Gorrono jpgorrono at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 7 19:53:14 PDT 2011

I've completed the essential feature of GRBK-1056 in the branch
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/gradebook2/branches/wizardTest

it includes a wizard mini framework (with a GIN-provided impl) which
should help get GRBK-404 and related tickets done.

I need some input, from at least Mike and Thomas, to complete 1056:

If a user imports a scantron into a 'percentages' gradebook a wizard
window pops up and asks for a max points value (max) so that the
points in the scantron (score) can be scaled into (percentages).

First question:

    _> the formula used is max*score/100 = percentage

    seems right, no?

Second question:

    _> The scaling of the scores is done entirely on the client, so
this would be the first case of having calculations done on the
client. This case, IMHO, doesn't have the same security concerns that
other calculations have... in this case, the data is coming from the
client directly so it is essentially a client pre-process of the data.

      Any reason this *should* be done on the server instead of the client?

Third question:

     _> if you run the branch in dev mode and import a scantron (see
GRBK-1056 for a sample) and set the max score to something like 3,
you'll get repeating fractions in the scaled (percentage) value set.
All the calculations are being done in Double-world, since this is all
client-side.

     Is this one reason it should be done on the server that rounding
and scaling can be handled there?

     IMO, not necessarily: this use case is as if the user were typing
values in the UI... in which case we treat the input as having the
same possible scale as a double (or we limit it to something less)

Appreciate any input, I'll mark the jira as having an impediment

I'll be out tomorrow but will be able to email

--
Jon Gorrono
PGP Key: 0x5434509D -