[gradebook2-dev] Using gradebook2 outside

Jeffrey Miller.CTR Jeffrey.Miller.CTR at usuhs.mil
Fri Jul 1 10:32:01 PDT 2011

Yes, we're also facing the same needs and need something soon!

Jeb Miller
Contractor, HJF
Academic Technology Directorate
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences
4301 Jones Bridge Road
Bethesda, MD  20814-4799
301-319-0442

Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: None

>>> Thomas Amsler <tpamsler at ucdavis.edu> 6/30/2011 12:44 PM >>>
Please see inline comments bellow:

I think we should be able to create a component service and
add GradebookToolService and Gradebook2ComponentService to it.

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:53 AM, John Bush <john.bush at rsmart.com> wrote:

> ug, I have the same need.  We need to run through all the sites in a term
> and export final grades, I thought I was going to be able to write a quartz
> job to do that, but realizing what you just said that won't be possible will
> it.  The name Gradebook2ComponentServiceImpl threw me cause its not a
> component or a service in the normal sakai sense anyway.

We are not doing a good job in naming/packaging things. As you guys have
figured out, some of the names are misleading and don't make much sense.

I think that we can create a "real Sakai" component service by exposing the
GradebookToolService and Gradebook2ComponentService APIs. We also need to
rename/refactor things so that they make sense w.r.t. [DAO, Service,
internal, external, client, server]

> Exposing this in a component module might take some refactoring, there are
> a bunch of org.sakaiproject.gradebook.gwt.client packages in there, it
> doesn't look like a clean separation to me.

The above is one of the maning issues. For example the interfaces in:

org.sakaiproject.gradebook.gwt.client.model.*

should just be called:

org.sakaiproject.gradebook.gwt.model

.. because there is a server and client specific implementation. The same is
true for:

org.sakaiproject.gradebook.gwt.client.exceptions.*

It would take same refactoring but I think this is a real need so that folks
can leverage existing gradebook2 services.

Comments?

-- Thomas