[gradebook2-dev] gb.security.enabled setting questions

Jon Gorrono jpgorrono at ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 23 14:44:58 PST 2011

The two main things the setting (to true) does are
1. makes sure all requests go thru the portal and not thru the webapp
'mount point'
and 2. makes sure the server thinks it has the same session that the
client says it thinks it has

You'll get this error if the session manager returns a session id for
the current user that does not match (the first part of) the value in
the X-XSRF-Cookie header field, or of course, if that header is
missing.

(or less commonly if a form submission does not have the right
sessionid in a certain hidden field)

Is the load balancer passing on all header fields?
Are the sessions 'sticky' in that users are redirected to the same
host while in one session?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Kevin Chan <kevin at media.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Now that I have GB2 version 1.4 up and running, I am encountering some
> issues with the gb.security.enabled setting.
>
> Firstly, some info on our setup:
> * currently running 1.2.0; executed SQL update scripts for 1.2->1.3 upgrade;
> * 3 DEV servers - 2 hosts (sakai-dev-01/sakai-dev-02) are being load
> balancer that distribute traffic going to "sakai-dev" to these 2 hosts
> evenly; optionally, you can go directly to these hosts by entering their
> respective hostnames; the third host (sakai-dev-03) is NOT behind load
> balancing
>
> It looks like our load balancing/Apache proxy setup is affecting this
> setting as going to the main hostname (sakai-dev) and the load balanced
> hostnames (-01 and -02) is causing an error.
>
> Here is the error from the front end:
> Security Exception
> Request Failed
> Unexpected response from server: 400
>
> and in catalina.out:
> 11:47:00,863 ERROR ServletWrappingController:160 - ERROR: X-XSRF-Cookie
> violation
> 11:47:00,864 ERROR ServletWrappingController:160 - ERROR: X-XSRF-Cookie
> violation
>
> Going to sakai-dev-03 = no problems.
> Changing gb2.security.enabled=false also fixes this error.
>
> So my two questions are:
> 1. What exactly does gb.security.enabled=true do?
> 2. Are there any settings (on the Sakai or GB2 code side) that I can change
> to make this work in our setup?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>   Kevin Chan
>
>   Operations Team
>   Educational Technology Services
>   UC Berkeley

Jon Gorrono
PGP Key: 0x5434509D -
http{pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0x5434509D&op=index}
GSWoT Introducer - {GSWoT:US75 5434509D Jon P. Gorrono <jpgorrono - gswot.org>}
http{sysdev.ucdavis.edu}