[gradebook2-dev] a serious issue : new item added by assignment tool to weighted category in GB2, causes the student info. screen part blank in instructor view and bug report in catalina.out

Kim Huang kimhuang at oit.rutgers.edu
Tue Dec 13 09:08:48 PST 2011

Hi, Folks,

Please look at the attachment for the screen shots of the problem. I list the steps to reproduce it.

The current behavior of GB2 is:

When the new item is added by external tool, such as assignment, you can choose to add it to certain category in GB2 from assignment tool page.
>From GB2 display, if the category is the weighted category and the checkbox of "weight equally" is checked, new item is shown as 0 point in that category, the right part of student info. screen is missing.(bug report is thrown.)

The correct way should be:
GB2 recalculates the values of all the items within the weighted category since the new item is added.
or there is a message to indicate user that you should not add the pointed item to the weighted category.

More:
GB2 doesn't have problem to do the redistribution if the new item is added within GB2.
I tried to search on jira to find out whether this problem has been reported in the past. No luck.
Do you have better way to search the existing issue on jira ? It is pretty unfriendly to me.

-----
reproduce:

Add GB2 and Assignments to a site.
Set GB2 to use weighted categories, check the weight item equally checkbox.
Add a few items to the category (make them 10 points each).

Go to Assignments and create a new assignment. Set it to send grades to gradebook and choose the weighted category. Post it.

When you switch back to GB2, you will see the problem.