[gradebook2-dev] some grades are missing when importing grades from .CSV files into GB2

Kim Huang kimhuang at oit.rutgers.edu
Tue Sep 14 11:12:01 PDT 2010

The problem is in
ImportExportUtility.java, function : readInGradeDataFromImportFile
these lines:
String[] strippedColumns = new String[columns.length - 1];
                int n = 0;
                for (int i=0;i<columns.length;i++) {
                    Integer columnNumber = Integer.valueOf(i);

                    if (ieInfo.getIgnoreColumns().contains(columnNumber))
                        continue;

                    if (ieInfo.getCourseGradeFieldIndex() == i)

                        continue;

                    if (n < strippedColumns.length)
                        strippedColumns[n] = columns[i];
                    n++;
--------------------------------
for line "a6 at 1.com <mailto:a6 at 1.com>,a6 at 1.com
<mailto:a6 at 1.com>,88,,,,,,", the size of columns is 8, so the size of
strippedColumns is defined as 7
the   strippedColumns[n] = columns[i]; will execute , because n is 2 for
the grade "88" column,

but for line "a7 at 1.com, a7 at 1.com,88", the size of columns is 3, so the
size of strippedColumns is defined as 2,
since n ==2 when the grade should be assigned, but   if (n <
strippedColumns.length) returns false,
so the grade is not assigned.

file Gradebook.csv looks perfectly normal when opened under Microsoft
excel , so I think a lot of faculties will have this type of the file
I don't know how important the size of strippedColumns in your code,
otherwise I will define it as the same size of columns

Thanks,

-Kim