[gradebook2-dev] some grades are missing when importing grades from .CSV files into GB2

Kim Huang kimhuang at oit.rutgers.edu
Mon Sep 13 08:26:45 PDT 2010

Hi, Folks,

Found a serious issue of grades being truncated when importing grades
from CSV file on Rutgers production server( GB2 -v1.2.0). Then I
reproduced it on one of the Sakai QA
servers(http://qa6-us.sakaiproject.org/portal). Please help to confirm
whether this problem has been recorded/solved in jira. Otherwise I will
create a jira.

When you import a class grades from .csv file, not all the grades in CSV
file are imported completed. Usually the last few (one or two) entries
are missing. This problem only happens on .csv file, XLS files work just
fine.
It can be reproduced by the following steps:

1. create a new site, can be either project site or course site.
2. add about 16+ participants.
3. add some new items in gradebook2, i.e. HW1, HW2, HW3, etc
4. first export the grades by clicking on tools->export->grades &
structures->as .csv file
5. edit the exported .csv file, added a grade to one column for EVERY
student in the gradebook(i.e. add "88" for HW1 for 16 students, if you
have 16 students in this site.) save the file
6. import the just saved .csv file by tools->import, you will see from
preview data view, some grades are missing. usually the last few entries
are missing.

(I investigated a little bit, the .csv file has been read in correctly,
which means, readInGradeDataFromImportFile in ImportExportUtility.java
reads the complete whole set of grades from .csv file.)

Thanks, Let me know if you have further question,

-Kim Huang