[gradebook2-dev] Internationalization in GB2

Beth Kirschner bkirschn at umich.edu
Wed Oct 27 07:02:38 PDT 2010

Sakai has it's own method for setting/getting a user's preferred locale:
	 (new org.sakaiproject.util.ResourceLoader()).getLocale();

I think we need to update the page at http://confluence.sakaiproject.org//x/C4DbAQ to provide some pointers for GWT tools, but it also looks like the current GB2 implementation will not respect the Sakai user preferences for locale. Thanks for adding a GRBK-770 to track the general I18N issue -- let me know when you're able to resolve this issue and I can update the confluence page with some tips for other users.

- Beth

On Oct 26, 2010, at 4:04 PM, Thomas Amsler wrote:

> Jim,
>
> Please see inline comments bellow:
>
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Jim Eng <jimeng at umich.edu> wrote:
>> Thanks, Thomas.  Especially for the link to the GWT i18n Dev Guide.  A link to that should be added to the page Beth referenced.
>>
>> I have a couple questions, if you know the answers (if not, we'll figure it out). Very early in the GWT Dev Guide, it makes
>> reference to working within a web app that is part of a larger system with different i18n functionality.  Is there somewhere in the
>> GB2 code that connects up with Sakai's i18n impl's to get the default locale and the user's preferred locale (if that is different)?
>
> No
>
>>  And then within GB2 code, can we assume that the GWT code will
> honor those settings for locale for the current user?
>
> Assuming that you support multiple translations, the user locales are
> defined/selected as described here:
>
> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideI18nLocale.html
>
> Let me know if I didn't fully answer this last question ?
>
> Best,
> -- Thomas
>

>> Jim
>>

>> On Oct 26, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Thomas Amsler wrote:
>>
>>> In gradebook2, we are using the GWT i18n support as outlined here:
>>> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/doc/latest/DevGuideI18n.html
>>>
>>> The gradebook2 specific files are located here:
>>>
>>> https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib//gradebook2/trunk/shared/src/java/org/sakaiproject/gradebook/gwt/client/
>>>
>>> I18nConstants.java
>>> I18nConstants.properties
>>> I18nMessages.java