[Contrib: Evaluation System] Evaluation assignment to course sections

Nicola Monat-Jacobs nicola at longsight.com
Mon Jul 22 16:19:12 PDT 2013

Folks -

I just want to add my two cents:

I think its important to understand what is meant by "sections". It sounds
like in the OP here, Francois is asking about courses/sites - these are
also referred to as "evalgroups" in the code.

Francois - if a user has eval.assign.evaluation in a particular site, then
it will show up in the list of courses they can deploy an evaluation too.
(There are a variety of other checks before you even get to this point, but
that's what determines the list you see in the 'assign evaluation to'
screen.)

Unfortunately, changes in underlying code mean that Aaron's claim that "evals
admin permission (assigned using the settings) or are a super admin you can
assign evaluations" is no longer true. Even as an admin, you have to be
enrolled in a site to see it in the list of sites you can deploy an
evaluation to. (You used to see a list of all sites, but no longer.)

Adam makes the point "I believe you cant assign to sections unless the
‘admin’ user is in the section. I don’t see the point of this restriction."
- as far as I'm aware this used to be the case, but no longer.

If you have a need for individuals to assign evaluations to sites they are
not enrolled in, then there are a variety of ways you can address this. At
the small scale, we have small colleges that just create a special user for
evaluation administration and enroll that account in all courses with a
role that has 'eval.assign.evaluation'.

At the large scale, we encourage folks to implement an evaluation hierarchy
provider. We have one that we wrote that works in conjunction with the
delegated access provider here:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/longsight/da_evalprovider/
but you can write your own.

Then, your user can use the 'hierarchy' option (which must be turned on in
'administrate') to deploy to courses they are not enrolled in.

To go back to Brian's point - there is another meaning of "sections":
groups *within* a course site, created in section info.  That's the work
that I believe Brian is doing.