[Contrib: Evaluation System] Evaluations and Ad-hoc Group Changes

Raad Al-Rawi Raad.Al-Rawi at admin.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 10 07:30:51 PST 2012

Hello Survey Lovers!

Thought I'd post this here before spamming the dev list. We are seeing an issue with evaluations 1.3 (1.3-SNAPSHOT taken from https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/evaluation/tags/1.3.0 r75735) running on Sakai 2.7

So a user creates a survey and creates some ad-hoc groups, e.g.

* Group1: contains 1 user, User-A
* Group2: contains 1 user, User-B

They start the survey but then realise that they forgot to add another user to Group2, and they have put User-B in the wrong group.
So they go in and amend the groups accordingly (which they can do because the survey is open and they see the "Modify assigned groups for this survey" link). Ok, fine and dandy so far.

However, one not so obvious thing is they need to "reapply" the ad-hoc groups to the survey (i.e. re-select the groups) before the changes will apply to the survey itself.
When modifying assigned groups, you end up in a loop (between modifying an ad-hoc group and "Step 3 of 4 - Assign survey to respondents") which you can end by selecting the groups you want to survey. However, it is possible to break out of the loop by going somewhere else. This leaves the groups changed but not applied to the survey, which can be confusing - but that's not the main issue.

If you do re-assign the modified groups, you would expect, in the case of my example, to see the survey response rate (assuming no users have responded) as "( 0 / 3 )" and clicking the "recipients" link to show:

Group1 ..... 2 (Members) ...
Group2 ..... 1 (Members) ...

However, it seems the system is hanging onto the previous membership, as it shows the response rate as "( 0 / 4 )" and "recipients" shows:

Group1 ..... 2 (Members) ...
Group2 ..... 2 (Members) ...

Clicking the "Responses" link shows:

Group: Group1 (0 responded out of 2)
User-A          Not Taken
User-B          Not Taken

Group: Group2 (0 responded out of 2)
User-B          Not Taken
User-C          Not Taken

So this is quite confusing, as you can see.
What's more, if User-B had taken the survey before they were moved from Group2 to Group1, they would show up as "Completed" under Group2, and if the survey is set to send reminders, I suspect the system would send them a reminder through which they would be able to add another response under Group1.
This, of course, would skew the survey results.

Has anyone seen this issue before? I have tried searching the Sakai JIRA but have not managed to find anything like this.

Cheers

Raad
~~
Raad Al-Rawi
CamTools Operations & Support Analyst

Management Information Services Division
Greenwich House
Madingley Rise
Cambridge
CB3 0TX