[Contrib: Evaluation System] SQL conversion scripts fail

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Fri Sep 30 07:32:33 PDT 2011

I decided that trying to track down each change in the hibernate mappings was too much work and prone to errors.

Instead, I used the maven ddl goal to regenerate the ddl scripts.  I will commit the revised scripts to trunk of evaluation.  That will make the ddl scripts correct for 1.4 but not for 1.3.  Next I will use a diff between the current oracle ddl script in subversion and the newly generated script to identify changes between 1.2 and 1.4 that are not already in the conversion scripts.  I will add those changes to the 1.3 to 1.4 oracle conversion script.  Again, that will help people wanting to go from 1.2 to 1.4 but it won't help people going from 1.2 to 1.3.  And it won't help people using database vendors other than oracle.

It also doesn't deal with insert's, such as adding new default property settings.  We got errors on startup related to some missing config values.  Unfortunately the error message does not identify which properties are missing.

Someone using another vendor or someone wanting to get a conversion script for 1.2 to 1.3 could do the process outlined above based on the 1.3 release.  If you do that, I hope you will commit the changes to the 1.3.x branch.

I'd still like to get a commitment from other developers in this project that any future changes related to the database will be reflected in the hibernate mapping files, the DDL files and the conversion scripts, not just the hibernate mapping files. That has been the policy in the sakai community since day one, and I think it should be the policy for evalsys as well.

If someone has another suggestion for how we can deal with this issue, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks.

Jim