[Contrib: Evaluation System] provider not being called

Richard C. Moyer II rmoyer at umd.edu
Tue Sep 28 07:29:11 PDT 2010

Chuck & Aaron,

            First, I would pull the latest AdminTestEGProviderProducer.java from trunk.  I've fixed this bug a while ago. This should let you know if your provider is working.

            If you're importing all the evaluation data (i.e: items, scales, templates, evaluations), then you also must populate the tables created by the evaluation. These tables provides the link between the evaluation and the groups and students.  These are the eval_assign tables and I'm sure there are other set up requirements..  Since we don't run evaluations in this manner, I can't give much more guidance.

            I would create an evaluation within sakai and make sure that  your groups are appearing when asking.

            You mentioned that you're using the course-management for courses not in sakai, again, sorry but we don't use that.  Also, unless the course management data is called from your group provider, I don't think it will be display in the AdminTestEGProvider.

            Here's a summary of how UMD has implemented Eval Group Provider.

Evaluation is the ONLY tool we use within sakai.  Evaluation and person data are retrieved via providers.
I create 2 tables which store data for the Eval Group Provider

Eval_umd_title contains groupId, title, student and instructor counts and some UMD specific data
Eval_umd_stu contains groupId, UMD directory ID, permission (TAKE, BE, TA) and other UMD specific data

These tables are populated via an extract process from UMD Student Information System. All methods in the EvalGroupProvider access these 2 tables.

The only method I added was to translate UMD directory ID to the sakai id via the sakai-user-id-map table. When an evaluation is created, any person without a sakai id has one created and mapped to their EID.

            Be sure and read Jim's note and Aaron's response, when an evaluation is created the data is transferred from  eval_umd_title to eval_assign_groups and from eval_umd_stu to eval_assign_users.

Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful, but I would update the test provider and look into the relationship between the eval group provider and course-management code.
Rick