[Contrib: Evaluation System] Instructor vs Course category and grouping - functioning as designed?

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Thu Sep 23 00:13:50 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I agree - the UI should not let you do something that doesn't make
sense, i.e. one should only be able to group items that share the same
scale and category.

Is there a JIRA for this yet?

Regards
Stephen

>>> Ellen Yu Borkowski <eyb at umd.edu> 9/22/2010 8:35 PM >>>
Aaron

Thanks.  What if we could have the template interface act a little
differently.  When one selects an item, other items with the same scale
get an asterisk next to it that helps you select other items to group.
Perhaps we had another layer to that - when one selects an item, other
items with the same scale AND same category have an asterisk appear next
to them.  This saves having to display a dialog box warning you that you
have different category items in the group and in a sense helps the user
be more efficient I think.

Ellen

On Sep 15, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Aaron Zeckoski wrote:

> The backend piece is handling this correctly by forcing the items
into
> the same category, however, the frontend should probably be a lot
more
> friendly about this. I had it in my head that the frontend used to
> stop this from happening but I think the functionality might have
been
> lost in the recent round of changes.
>
> I think the right way to handle this is to at least warn the user
and
> it is probably best to simply stop them from putting items from
> different categories in the same items group.
>
> -AZ
>

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Ellen Yu Borkowski <eyb at umd.edu>
wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>> This question may need to be addressed by Aaron as he may be the
only one
>> who knows the original design for this.  Here's a scenario in which
I've
>> created several instructor category items and course category items
and I am
>> now working in the template adding items, grouping, etc.  The
scenario below
>> are steps taken after opening a template to edit:  [Note:  for this
>> scenario, all course and instructor category items all have the same
scale.]
>> 1.  Add several course category items to the template
>> 2.  Add several instructor category items to the template
>> 3.  Select a course category item because I want to group them.  I
select
>> all course category items along with one instructor category item
(by
>> mistake).
>> 4.  Select "Create group" button.
>> 5.  I am given the open in the dialog box to select (again) the
category
>> that I want the grouped items to be in.  I select "course"
>> 6.  I save the group and start checking my work.
>> 7.  In looking at the preview, I notice that I have included an
instructor
>> item by mistake in my course item grouping.
>> 8.  I go back and ungroup the items and regroup the course items.
>> 9.  In going back to check the one instructor item I had mistakenly
put into
>> the course grouping, I notice it is now marked as a course category
item
>> instead of an instructor item (as it was originally defined).
>> Now, if I didn't know the tool so well, I may not have gone back and
checked
>> the individual instructor category item to make sure it was marked
correctly
>> in the template.  I should not that in the "My Items" database, the
>> particular item is still defined correctly as an instructor category
item.
>> Question is this - is this working "as designed"?  I think I've had
this
>> conversation with Aaron in the past, but can't remember if this was
designed
>> in this fashion.
>> For the community - do you think a "warning" dialog box should
appear when
>> items of different categories are grouped together?  I personally
think this
>> is needed, but that is because of the workflow at Maryland.  This
may not be
>> the case for others, but I wanted to toss this out for discussion.
> [...]

---
Email: eyb at umd.edu
http://www.oit.umd.edu/as/staff/Ellen.html

TO UNSUBSCRIBE: send email to
evaluation-unsubscribe at collab.sakaiproject.org with a subject of
"unsubscribe"

###
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer
published on our website at
http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from
+27 21 650 4500. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom
it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify
the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may
not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail
is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the
sender's individual capacity.

###