[Contrib: Evaluation System] Two feature changes

Ellen Yu Borkowski eyb at umd.edu
Tue Jun 29 14:18:19 PDT 2010

At Maryland, we would NOT want this to be the default setting - we do not want to make free-text questions compulsory.  I would support this as long as what Aaron suggested is followed - "add the option, but make the default default so that the option does not appear in the evaluation config (it should also be configurable on a per evaluation basis I would guess) and does not adversely affect anyone else."

Ellen

On Jun 29, 2010, at 7:49 AM, Aaron Zeckoski wrote:

>> Allow free-text questions to be made compulsory
>> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/EVALSYS-951
>>
>> This would be an extension of the capability already present to make individual rating-scale and MCQ options compulsory, allowing the Compulsory yes/no checkbox to be used for free-text questions as well. This is for some survey use-cases we have.
>

> I would strongly caution you about this one. In my experience this
> results in a lot of answers like "asdf". This is why we removed the
> option from the system design back in the planning stages in 2005. If
> you are OK with receiving a lot of noise then please feel free to add
> this in but make sure it is disabled by default so that the option
> does not appear in the evaluation config (it should also be
> configurable on a per evaluation basis I would guess) and does not
> adversely affect anyone else.
>
> -AZ
>

> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:54 AM, Stephen Marquard
> <stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> UCT has 2 relatively short-term requirements for feature changes, viz.:
>>
>> Email Confirmation of Submission
>> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/EVALSYS-765
>>
>> Looks like this has been implemented by UM in a local branch. Is there any outstanding work required before this can be merged to trunk?
>>
>> We would probably need this to be configurable on a per-evaluation basis in the same way as the initial notification email (i.e. an email template inherited from the evaluation template which can be customized per evaluation).
>>
>> Allow free-text questions to be made compulsory
>> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/EVALSYS-951
>>
>> This would be an extension of the capability already present to make individual rating-scale and MCQ options compulsory, allowing the Compulsory yes/no checkbox to be used for free-text questions as well. This is for some survey use-cases we have.
>>
>> We would like to canvass any views on the above so we can look at incorporating them in a local branch for subsequent review and merge to trunk if acceptable.
>>
>> Regards
>> Stephen
>>

>> ###
>> UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
>>
>> This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 4500. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.
>>
>> ###

> Aaron Zeckoski - Software Engineer - http://tinyurl.com/azprofile

---
Ellen Yu Borkowski