[Contrib: Evaluation System] Compulsory question settings

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Tue Jul 27 06:28:03 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I'd like to hear from UM, UMD and Cambridge and anyone else about this - is there any use case for retaining global and evaluation-level settings for compulsory questions?

This seems a good opportunity to make Evals clearer and simpler to use by reducing the number of complex options.

Regards
Stephen

>>> "Stephen Marquard" <stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za> 7/23/2010 11:06 AM >>>
Hi all,

Over time the options for compulsory questions have got more complex and confusing. For example, the "allow to leave questions unanswered" (rating scale questions) is really being asked the wrong way around (it should be "make all questions compulsory"). With the addition of compulsory text questions as well, we now potentially have:

2 global options
2 eval-specific options
setting for each evaluation question

This leads both to a confusing UI and significant complexity in QA testing and code.

I'd like to know if it's possible for everyone's use-cases to be satisfied by ONLY having the setting for each template/evaluation question (no global options, no eval-level options).

If you create and assign your own evaluations centrally (i.e. site owners don't have control or templates or eval questions), then this would mean a once-off change in practices or code (depending on if these are imported for example) to set the compulsory flag where appropriate.

If you let site owners / faculty create their own templates and evaluations, then this would mean educating users about when NOT to make a question compulsory (e.g. in most cases, the text ones).

Would this work for you?

Cheers
Stephen

###
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN

This e-mail is subject to the UCT ICT policies and e-mail disclaimer published on our website at http://www.uct.ac.za/about/policies/emaildisclaimer/ or obtainable from +27 21 650 4500. This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the e-mail has reached you in error, please notify the author. If you are not the intended recipient of the e-mail you may not use, disclose, copy, redirect or print the content. If this e-mail is not related to the business of UCT it is sent by the sender in the sender's individual capacity.

###