[Contrib: Evaluation System] A little progress on import/export

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Fri Jan 22 21:48:48 PST 2010

Hi Jim,

If you're creating support for import/export via REST, can I suggest that you wire this up using entitybroker? It's a mechanism that many are familiar with and has the advantage of being self-documenting (via the /direct/.../describe ... URLs).

Regards
Stephen

>>> Jim Eng <jimeng at umich.edu> 1/23/2010 2:23 AM >>>
I have been working on import of various EVALSYS entities, because
that's a pretty big priority for us.  I know a number of other schools
are more interested in export than import, so I wanted to give a
glimpse of what's coming.

The approach we're taking has the side benefit that we get export
almost for free.  Today I took a few minutes to write about 30 lines
of code to retrieve a bunch of entities from the database and output
them to the log in the XML format we will be using for import.  The
results are here:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jimeng/eval_import/first_sample_output.xml

These are just toy examples, and there are no EvalResponse entities
because I haven't quite gotten there yet.  But my point is that export
is going to be very easy once we get import working.  I am writing a
little servlet to import via HTTP POST of a file containing an XML
document in this format.  Export would be handled with an HTTP GET to
the same servlet with some request parameters to indicate what to
export. We don't expect to use the export very much at Michigan, so
we'd be glad to get some help spec'ing out how that should work.

This format is quite a bit different from the last version of the
schema you saw.  There will be a new version of the schema in a week
or so to reflect these changes.

The output example above includes some internal fields (like
"lastModified" and "id") that would not be present in imports. We'll
probably be able suppress any of those that are not useful in the
export.

Thanks.

Jim