[Contrib: Evaluation System] Import/export of ItemGroup objects?

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Tue Sep 8 13:26:19 PDT 2009

It turned out that the page I created in confluence (http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/Hw-tAw
) was more about the logic when updating existing items from an XML
file.  I have started over and I am attempting to document the meaning
and format of various datatypes and their properties to fully describe
the import file's syntax and semantics.

I am attaching a draft of an XML Schema to this email. I have a lot
more work to do on it before putting it out for discussion but I'm
sharing it just to give you an idea where I'm headed.

The "xsd:documentation" elements in the XML Schema will eventually
provide end-user documentation for creating EVAL_DATA files in an
external XML editor (or, better yet, for generating them from data in
an external system). We'll find a utility that assembles the
"xsd:documentation" elements into a well-formed web page.

This draft was created by attempting to document what is being done
now in the import utility Dick Ellis created.  I took comments from
the EVALSYS hibernate files and from the model classes.  I also used
the current import code and sample XML files from Michigan.

The ITEM.IG_ITEM_ID is an internal id that is generated when adding a
link in the database.  I think we will need external identifiers to
refer to those items and describe links between/among them before they
are imported.

I hope to have this in better shape in a few days.

Jim