[Contrib: Evaluation System] Evaluation Strategy for 3akai

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 11 11:33:21 PDT 2009

On 11 Mar 2009, at 18:08, Steven Githens wrote:
> [...]
>
> Again, the Evaluation system is an interesting use case since it was
> designed to be decoupled/standalone and not necessarily depend on
> the concept of 'sites'.
>
> -Steve

I find it interesting for a similar reason. In fact I would question
whether we add value by including it in Sakai at all. It seems that
for the US use case - which I am tempted to describe as the
institution checking on the faculty - the 'independence' of a separate
solution has merits. The thing that is shared between a course
management system and a course evaluation system is the roster (staff
and student, including sections) the course name and potentially some
aspects of instructor hierarchy within the course (e.g. professor vs
TA). The hierarchy of Quality Control (who can edit which questions,
who can see the responses for which courses) seems to be an
independent hierarchy. Bulk mailing has some overlap with certain
Sakai features and aspects of questionnaire delivery seem to have high
potential overlap with Sakai assessment technology, but that has not
been exploited.

So all in all, I'm strongly tempted to look at it as a stand alone
system and look at integrating it as such.

John