[Contrib: Evaluation System] Questions on groups, direct links, and permalinks

Aaron Zeckoski aaronz at vt.edu
Thu Mar 5 10:46:22 PST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 5:30 PM, Jonny Brown <jonny.brown at rsmart.com> wrote:
> When an evaluation is active, I think I'm supposed to be able to add groups,
> but I don't see a way to do so. (I can add and change groups for in-queue
> evals with no problem; it's only active evals I'm having trouble with).How
> can I add groups to an active eval? Or can't I?

You can add groups by going back into the view where you selected the
groups initially.

> For a template, it looks to me as though you would send someone the
> preview your template. It looks as though you would send the person the
> direct link if you want them to log in before viewing the preview. Is this
> correct?

This is correct.

> For evaluations, I'm totally lost about permalink and direct link. They seem
> to me to do the exact same thing (except that one URL references the eval
> and the other references the group). When would you give someone the

The one that refers to the eval itself will work for anyone who is in
any group which is part of the evaluation. The group link will only
work for those users in that specific group.

> When the auth control setting is anonymous for an eval, I notice that the
> The direct link, on the other hand, presents the eval and does not give me
> the option to change groups. Why would someone change groups?

If you arrived at the evaluation and you are a member of multiple
groups then the assumption is that you are allowed to take the
evaluation for each group. For example: you are in math 101 and comm
201 and are taking course eval A, you should be able to take it as a
math 101 student or a comm 201 student and may actually get different
questions depending on what you select.

-AZ

--
Aaron Zeckoski (aaronz at vt.edu)
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - Cambridge University