[cle-release-team] Managing CLA's with new contributions

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Mar 12 13:32:44 PDT 2014

[Sakai PMC and Sakai Core Team]

Howdy folks,

I've been trying to get my brain wrapped around how to best manage
incoming contributions and CLAs. From talking (virtually) with the
Apereo Licensing group and based on the Apereo licensing documentation
[1] , it seems that the spirit or intention is that small fixes do not
need CLA's but larger and more complex contributions do need CLA's
(corporate Contributor License Agreements - CCLA's ; and individual
Contributor Licenses - iCLA's).

One suggestion from Dr. Chuck is that at some point a "patch" becomes a
contribution when it includes new significant IP rather than just fixing
a bug or glitch and that it is up to those who have commit privileges to
make sure not to commit something large from a person that does not have
a CCLA.  Does everyone agree with this characterization?

[1] Apereo licensing documentation - http://www.apereo.org/licensing

Thanks,
Neal

--