[cle-release-team] Summary of version management and a little help please

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Feb 20 10:24:47 PST 2014

[Sakai release team]

Before I make a broad announcement of how we are managing Jira affected
version and fix versions for Sakai 10, I wanted to summarize to make
sure I've got it right and ask for help on an administrative issue
related to implementing this approach.

Summary
------------------------
Jira Projects affected by this process: SAK, LSNBLDR, KNL, SAMIGO,
POLLS, PRFL (Profile 2), SRCH (Search), and STAT (SiteStats)

1) The merge flag for Sakai 10 is called "10 status", which deviates a
little from the old style of Sakai 2.9 and earlier of "2.9.x status",
"2.8.x status" , etc.  This has already been changed in Jira. The field
value meanings are still the same : None, Merge , Resolved, Won't fix

2) As the next QA iteration occurs, we will be changing the affected
version of existing issues to the latest QA version and archiving the
older QA versions so that they will not be selectable as an affects or
fix version on newly created issues. For example, when 10.0-qa03 is
released, the affected version for anything related to Sakai 10 will
move to 10.0-qa03 as the affected version. Immediately, 10.0-qa01 will
be archived, and shortly thereafter 10.0-qa02 will be archived as well
(after most or all of the QA servers have moved to the qa03 tag). There
will be no 10.0 version or 10.0 [tentative] version used. Everything
should reflect the latest stage of QA.

3) I've already created a 10.0-qa04 Jira version in anticipation of
10.0-qa03 tag being cut. Issues fixed after 10.0-qa03 is cut should use
10.0-qa04 as the fix version and have 10.0-qa03 as the affected version.

Help needed from Sakai release team
So, I ran a quick test on one of my own issues. If I do a bulk update on
the Affected version, the bulk operation is a full replacement, deleting
any existing fix versions. Since many issues have multiple affected
versions (e.g. a number of issues have an affected version of 2.9.3 and
10.0-qa01; some issues have many affects versions), doing a bulk update
operation will remove ALL the affected versions and replace with the one
new version.

That kind of seems bad. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Neal

--
Neal Caidin