[cle-release-team] [sakai2-tcc] Sakai trunk name? - Re: [Building Sakai] Removal of indies and project versions

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Tue Sep 17 05:47:33 PDT 2013

Neal, to be clear, project versions have not not been removed.  Project versions in trunk for certain ex-Indie projects have been standardized on 2.10-SNAPSHOT.  Two exceptions to this effort include Msgcntr and Lessonbuilder, the former because it's versioned 3.0, the latter because we are awaiting a reply from Chuck Hedrick regarding the right moment to branch LB trunk to a 1.5.x branch before proceeding to eliminate LB's assembly module and update it's version to 2.10-SNAPSHOT in line with all other core modules, save Msgcntr.

All ex-indie Jira projects have been updated (trunk versions have been remapped as 2.10), Msgcntr and Lessonbuilder excepted.  What may not have been completed is providing new components for the ex-Indies in the Sakai CLE project and then moving all open 2.10-related tickets from the individual indie projects to the Sakai CLE project.  The goal would be consolidating Sakai trunk issue tracking under a single project .  The old indie projects (e.g., basiclti, polls, search, etc.) would need to remain for historical purposes unless we want to remap all the previous indie versions to the Sakai CLE project.   Although it could be done, it would constitute a tedious task.

Now, it might make sense to remap the more active Jira projects (e.g., BasicLTI) so that csev et al need only work out of a single Jira project rather than two.  I recall that the webservices project, although formerly versioned 1.x, remained a component of the 2.x versioned Sakai CLE project.  To be clear, this is a Jira task, no code would ever be touched.  I would only recommend consolidating Jira projects if people think confusion will arise in Jira where project are only partly amalgamated.

Currently, csev can log his trunk tickets in the BasicLTI project.  He can also log them in the Sakai CLE project.  He and others might find this confusing, although over time ticket traffic on the old Basiclti project would fade away as Sakai moves forward.

In an ideal world we'd all work out of a single Jira project.  Whether it makes sense to move towards the ideal (in an incremental fashion) is probably worth a (very short) discussion.

Currently the next trunk-based release of Sakai is 2.10.  That's good enough for the present.  If a decision is made to change the version to 4.0 it can be done quickly with very little fuss.

Anth

anthony whyte | its and mlibrary | university of michigan | arwhyte at umich.edu | 517-980-0228