[cle-release-team] Proposal: Replace News tool with Simple RSS Portlet

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Nov 14 19:28:59 PST 2013

Some of the motivation for replacing the News Tool with the News Feeds tool
was all of the features News Feeds provides. [1] I can't tell from the
screenshots if this tool provides any of these features, and the roadmap
ends so I can't tell if there's anyone going to work on features in the
future. So if not, what current advantages does this have over Sakai News?
(Which only has 2 open issues and seems low risk to leave as-is)

The highlight features for News Feeds were
- Aggregating multiple feeds from multiple sources
- Ability to define institutional feeds which users could just select and
subscribe to
- Improved caching
- 3 different views (detailed/titles/compact)

And would there be an easy conversion between Sakai News and this tool
(ideally a db conversion) if we decided to remove News so existing sites
wouldn't lose whatever RSS they were pointing to?

Thanks!

[1] https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/NFS/Features

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Steve Swinsburg <steve.swinsburg at gmail.com