[cle-release-team] [Building Sakai] Release thoughts

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Wed Nov 13 04:27:18 PST 2013

That is one place where milestones help. I think what could work is having QA servers available ASAP so that I can announce testing is starting. It would help me from a communications and management standpoint to have some name to attach to it. For example, I usually create a Jira specifically to track new issues found with a particular round of testing, and I create one or more Google Spreadsheets for test specifics and link them to an overview in Confluence.

If “Alpha” is not palatable, we could call this the Sakai 10 Prep phase, since we are prepping trunk to get ready for a Beta branch. Does “Prep phase” work better than “Alpha"? I would like a date for the testing to start. I’ve started working on a Test Plan.

Summarizing my points:

* Would like to pick a date on which to capture a revision of trunk for QA testing.
* Need QA servers setup (Anthony has some ideas on QA server options. I need to follow up with him.)
* Whatever that date is on which we take a picture of the current trunk revision and have QA servers set up, would like to have some name for it, for communications to the community.

Since the original schedule I proposed has been changed (originally had an Alpha being cut before Thanksgiving, but now we probably will not be cutting an Alpha), we need to develop a new schedule, which I anticipate will be part of Anthony’s proposal.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Neal

Neal Caidin