[cle-release-team] 2.9.x: branch management update

Aaron Zeckoski azeckoski at unicon.net
Wed Mar 27 15:22:42 PDT 2013

"Should" doesn't equal "does" unfortunately.
EB registers providers from all over the place including from within
components and within webapps (so it holds weak references to classes
from lots of classloaders). It uses a similar technique for keeping
track of the various internal bits and optional overrides as well.
The bottom line is that when I tried to use commons logging, it held
open the classloaders so EB could not shutdown and I got the wrong
copies of classes sometimes. Either way, I gave up trying to solve
that back in 2007. Maybe things are better these days but I will leave
that as something for someone else to prove as I spent far too many
hours on it.

I'll note that everything worked fine if slf4j was used but sadly,
this is not the case in Sakai.
-AZ