[cle-release-team] Draft - Heads up on Gradebook-related bug

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Fri Jun 28 12:37:14 PDT 2013

Anybody have any thoughts on the communication to the community?

There was some discussion about whether to wait for the fix to be out - https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23733

and then suggest a patch and/or upgrade to 2.9.3 (which might take longer than just patching for many schools) vs sending something ASAP , though the latter seemed like the consensus position.

Perhaps simplifying is better so perhaps just going with :

In Sakai CLE 2.9.1 and CLE 2.9.2 there is a gradebook-related bug. This problem does not affect Sakai CLE 2.9.0.

What tools are affected?  It affects the Lessons tool and any Contrib tool which generates grades for the gradebook.

What is the problem?  Students may not be able to see their grades and, perhaps more importantly, their grades may not be included in the final grade calculations.

What is the fix?  Lessons has already been fixed, it is in the process of being tested. There is a fix being worked on and 2.9.3 will not be released until this is fixed. The Jira is https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23733  .  A patch will be provided that will work in CLE 2.9.1 and CLE 2.9.2

And if folks have questions, they will ask, though I prefer to be prepared with questions we can anticipate.

Cheers,
Neal