[cle-release-team] Sakai 2.9 Performance Issues

Beth Kirschner bkirschn at umich.edu
Wed Jan 2 08:40:07 PST 2013

Hi all,

UM upgraded to Sakai 2.9 last weekend, and we're seeing some significant performance issues even under low usage. Classes start on Monday, so we're looking to see what can be done to mitigate the problem between now and then. We're seeing very slow user response times for some users/sites, but it's not clear where the problem is. The database is showing long DB Wait Times, meaning the database is waiting on the appserver to respond. We have noticed that the ehache settings need to be updated (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/UMICH-720), but are skeptical that this is the root cause. We're running pretty close to Sakai 2.9.0, but with several additional contrib tools that may or may not be a factor. Any advice or observations would be appreciated - we'll keep you informed on what we find as well.

Has anyone updated the release notes in regards to deprecation of the maxElementsInMemory ehcache setting (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-23096)? In case other institutions are changing this setting, they should no that it will have no affect and needs to be changed to maxEntriesLocalHeap.

Thanks,
- Beth