[cle-release-team] 2.9.0 key issues [short] list

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Tue Oct 30 12:10:07 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Matthew Jones <matthew at longsight.com> wrote:
> Well Seth is on record in the "Sakai Book" with this quote:
>
> "Have you any bad practices for a system admin that you would like to share?
> Running a .0 release. In general, this is a bad idea, but Sakai has taken
> this to a new level. I recommend following the maintenance branch (.x)
> instead."

Fortunately, the quality of releases since then has vastly improved
since I made this comment largely due to the people reading this
message, so it's less true now. Thank you for your great efforts over
the past few years.

> - KNL-725 - Probably won't want to convert this column for Oracle, I'd just
> change the timestamp in the conversion script and advise Oracle users to
> either restart after every daylight time switch or set the property
> expired at org.sakaiproject.cluster.api.ClusterService=4200
> So that clusters won't expire for 1 hour 10 minutes (default 10 minutes).
> This will catch the daylight expiration in either case.  I don't currently
> have Oracle so can't test this out, and was hoping IU or Michigan would
> commit this change or advise further.

I'll reiterate that fixes for KNL-734 and KNL-735 appear to implement
the same TZ change for the SAKAI_SESSION and SAKAI_EVENT tables. If
institutions have stats or analysis running against these tables --
Michigan is an example -- the data will be skewed if they convert the
column types.

Institutions should be able to safely convert from the current DATE
type to the plain old TIMESTAMP type without changing existing
behavior.

Seth