[cle-release-team] System requirements draft for 2.9.0

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 22:06:39 PDT 2012

For the record, the security issue they are talking about does not affect server installations of Java, it was only applets.

Deployers need to install the Oracle JDK to install Sakai. End users don't need anything except a browser (and the Java browser plugin for the only applet in Sakai, the Samigo audio recording m,ovule, but they are prompted for that if they don't have it, as per that article).

 I don't believe we have tested enough on Open JDK to suggest its use for 2.9 yet but could be wrong.

Also, we need people to be running Java 6, not 7.

For 3: Definitely need Tomcat, whether people run a normal web server in front is up to them, but that is the most common setup in production  systems, and I'd say that Apache HTTPD is the most common.
For 4: I don't know how current those systems are, I haven't heard from anyone there in a while.
For 5: IIRC we dropped MySQL for 2.8 in favour of MySQL 5.1. So 5.0 is not recommended/supported.

cheers,
Steve