[cle-release-team] Lessons new version

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Nov 26 10:37:01 PST 2012

Normally we try to avoid conversions in minor releases but I don't think
there really has been any official policy one way or another relating to
minor releases, and there have been conversion scripts in the past. I'd say
it's better to avoid data conversions if possible and stick to schema
conversions that hibernate can perform automatically with auto.ddl. That
way people who are running off the .x branches can always just run with
auto.ddl on and get the latest database changes without any problems.
However they won't automatically get data changes, as we don't have a
system for that, and some changes hibernate can't do. (Like column
deletions) Places running with auto.ddl off are better sticking to the
numbered releases and conversion scripts and paying more attention to the
community activity.

As far as actively maintained indies where you're doing the merging, I
suppose it would be up to you to introduce the changes you feel are
appropriate and safest for the community release. Most people would
probably prefer stability over new features and certainly over UI changes,
but I don't think we ever talked about what that means for a project like
Lessons that is under active development where the rest of Sakai doesn't
change too much. You don't want to spend time maintaining the old (1.4.x)
version, just like we don't want to spend time maintaining the old 2.7.x
(which we are no longer) or even the 2.8.x versions. There just isn't the
time available among the people working on the project to do that and
getting new stuff done.

I'd say leave 1.4.x just for critical bug fixes, and by the time you have
1.5 ready we'll be likely be working on 2.10 betas and this could go into a
2.9.? release. It's possible whatever 2.10  is might be something we
recommend to the community or something we just release as a an
unstable/experimental (similar to how some intermediary releases of Ubuntu
or Linux kernel are not considered stable as others). Most schools from
past surveys skip a release anyway, and it seems like 2.9 will be what most
schools will be on soon. It's too early to decide on any of that now though.