[cle-release-team] 2.9.x build failures

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Fri Nov 2 09:21:50 PDT 2012

I no longer see 2.9.0-rc03 in mailsender base.
There is about a 2-3 minute window in every tool while the release is
actually happening that the wrong version is in the pom.

https://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn/mailsender/branches/1.7/pom.xml

The only workaround for this was to have a process
- Copy the branch to a temporary branch
- Update the scm block
- Update Jenkins to point to that temp directory (or have a separate job
for reach tool to release)
- Run Jenkins from this directory
- Remove temporary directory

I never got the time to automate writing this, so there a window for a few
hours every few weeks (always late in the US evening) while all indies are
releasing where the branch will not work correctly as the process updates
the versions in place, then commits them back.

The build last night started at
*00:41:51 2012 UTC*
and ended at
*02:53:49 2012 UTC**
*

There shouldn't be a Maven version limitation. Maven 2.x will print
warnings about checksum errors because the format of the metadata changed
and was incompatible and I was never able to find any way to consistently
fix that. Maven 3.x does not have that problem.

Most likely I'm not going to spend time on this change for the 2.10
release. Most of the "indies" which the CLE Team works on and
are versioned the same as Sakai will just be moved back and released as
part of the core build (not assemblies). The few true indies can remain.
I'm seeing less of an advantage to this process when the same small group
of people are the only ones working on everything. But this likely won't
happen for at least a few months and with release team discussion.