[cle-release-team] Status of release . . .

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Mar 14 21:43:18 PDT 2012

So I thought after I got kernel and master released, I'd have clear
sailing. However that's not the case.

I tried 48 releases with different parameters and settings and none of them
worked. The biggest issue is the parent version. I can't get the maven
release plugin (when you're doing mvm release:perform) to update the parent
version.

- Normally what the release plugin does is
- Update the Snapshots
- Commit the non snapshots back
- Tag this branch
- Update the versions back to snapshots
- Commit this back

The only issue I can find is this one where it says parents with SNAPSHOTS
aren't updated. There's a patch attached but not applied to Maven
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-449

All I should have to do is pass
"-Dproject.rel.org.sakaiproject:master=2.9.0-b03
-Dproject.dev.org.sakaiproject:master="2.9-SNAPSHOT" and it should version
this just like everything else.

If you run mvn release:prepare on the command line, it asks you if you want
to change it, but doesn't actually change it.

Some other ideas I tried:

1) Using mvn versions:update-parent -DparentVersion="[2.9.0-b03]"
release:prepare . . .
 . . . This DOES update the parent version, however the release:prepare
won't commit back the modified pom.xml, and there's also no automatic way
to update the parent back to snapshot aftre so that's mostly out of the
question

Some other ideas I didn't try yet:

2) Applying the patch on this ticket and using a custom version of the
release plugin
. . . This looks like it would work, I didn't try this yet

3) Configure Jenkins to run pre-build and post-build steps to update the
parent version
. . . However there's a comment on the M2 release plugin page that you
can't use the pre and post steps when using this plugin (
https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/M2+Release+Plugin?focusedCommentId=58001814#comment-58001814
)
. . . But if I'm firing it from a separate job I think I can still get
these steps to run.
. . . Maybe there's a better plugin that can make this action happen?
. . . However it really needs to run before, wait until release is done
then run again, so this probably won't work

4) Writing some custom code into the release script which performs this
outside of Jenkins for now
. . . This would be the easiest, it would basically just do a svn co all
the indie branches, update the poms and commit
. . . We wouldn't want to use this for long
. . . I could probably just do this manually tomorrow
. . . But the branches for 2.9.x won't be usable unless these are also
branched and then the scm tags in the XML updated (Because you can't
actually pass these in as paramters
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-128)

The best deal would be if the release plugin can just do it all. It's
really disappointing that this all doesn't work and causes a TON of extra
work because of the unresolved issues.

Anyone have a #5 idea? :)