[cle-release-team] Current status of (b03) release = going better

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Mar 13 18:22:37 PDT 2012

Just an update of where the b03 release is:

1) I was able to get Jenkins (finally) to release the kernel project to
maven central tonight it's in the releases repo and should appear in maven
central in the next hour or so. (But I'm not going to wait for it)
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/org/sakaiproject/kernel/

This is a good step because it means that Jenkins can successfully run the
release plugin to update the branches, tag them, sign the artifacts and
deploy to the staging repository now.

It's also performing the release in the svn logs as
cle-release-team at collab.sakaiproject.org "
https://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn/kernel/branches/kernel-1.3.x/?view=log"
so there should be less confusion now and less commit inflation (for those
who were concerned about that) :) This will all be something from Jenkins.
I got access to mailman so this name probably will change to
cle-release-svn just so that that list can also contain moderate levels of
spam for when builds fail, new artifacts are staged/released and probably
other automated information for those who are interested in seeing that
information. I would consider this list (cle-release-team) to be more for
discussions and minor announcements.

Unless everyone already subscribed to this list wants to see that spam,
then I can leave it coming here. :)

2) Tomorrow morning I'll release master-b03 and a sample project. If that
works, I'll run my script to release all of the indies.

The *good* part (and main reason) about all this work is that releasing
kernel now really is just a push button effort. On Jenkins someone with
access just clicks "Perform Maven Release" fills in the Release version
(1.3.0-b03 in this case), the Development Version and the SVN username and
password (which is probably also able to be saved on the server), wait for
it to be deployed, go to the Nexus frontend, and click "Release". It feels
incredibly easy.

The *bad* part we were seeing is that there are ~30 indies so someone would
have to do this for every indie, so that's why this script is going to do
it instead (push this button and fill in the details) when we have to
release everything in a specific order.

Getting it setup took getting access to a lot of machines that Anthony
still had control over and figuring some best practices out but it's
looking pretty good.

Note: We're tagging everything as b03 just for simplicity, I'm know this
won't happen in future releases.