[cle-release-team] 2.8.2 release done - need input

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 00:35:12 PDT 2012

Hi all,

The 2.8.2 release is done. This took a while because I had to squeeze it in around other work and had a few hiccups along the way which slowed me down but were eventually resolved.

Anyway, I documented the entire process here:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/~steve.swinsburg/sakai-2.8.2+release

I abandoned the scripts that were used previously as they looked like they needed editing, and I didn't want to have to do that when I could just run some svn cp commands and edit some files, which were required to be done in the scripted process anyway.

Total time spent on this is about 4-5 days. I could run through it again in 1.5-2 days I reckon. The thing that takes the longest is releasing the indies, some/most take over an hour to release and there are 22 of them. I was able to run about 4 concurrently.

A build on a clean repo is successful.

I am in the process of generating the download artifacts (bin/demo/src) and uploading them. Again I am running that manually which seems to be working fine. Fingers crossed.

It does raise a question though, how much do the download artifacts get used? I've been thinking of a better way to do this, maybe for later releases...

I've also created the release page but need some input on that:
http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/2.8.2/

Taglibs: Haven't been distributed since 2.6, and the bit of HTML that renders the link is commented out. So I assume its ok to leave them out.
Javadocs: Will generate them for the core set of modules and upload them. Shouldn't be an issue.
Release Notes in confluence:  Haven't been updated since 2.8.0. There are none for 2.8.1. They also duplicate a lot of the content in the install guide. What do you want to do for 2.8.2?
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+CLE+2.8+Release+Notes

I want this release done before I leave on Friday morning, so we have some news to announce at the conference. Can I get a list of people willign to test the artifacts once they are done?

cheers,
Steve