[cle-release-team] [sakai2-tcc] Java 6 EOL

Earle Nietzel earle.nietzel at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 20:58:38 PST 2012

After updating the following files I was able to compile and run Sakai with
JDK 7 (OpenJDK):

M       purepoms/sakai-standard-tool/pom.xml
M       purepoms/sakai-basic-tool/pom.xml
M       purepoms/sakai-commons-tool/pom.xml
M       purepoms/sakai-edu-tool/pom.xml
M       kernel/pom.xml
M       entitybroker/pom.xml
basiclti/basiclti-common/src/java/org/sakaiproject/basiclti/util/ShaUtil.java
M       profile2/pom.xml
samigo/samigo-services/src/java/org/sakaiproject/tool/assessment/services/assessment/AssessmentService.java
M       search/search-test/test-1.5/pom.xml
M       search/search-impl/impl/pom.xml
M       master/pom.xml
providers/cm-authz-provider/src/java/org/sakaiproject/coursemanagement/impl/provider/BaseRoleResolver.java
rwiki/rwiki-util/radeox/src/java/org/radeox/example/XSLTExtension.java
M       rwiki/rwiki-util/radeox/src/java/org/radeox/util/Service.java
M       user/user-tool/tool/pom.xml

The java files were all utf-8 issues, the poms were mostly changing the
target and source compiler options execept for the purepoms.

Using the following table which denotes which JDK version the class is:
J2SE 7 = 51 (0x33 hex),
J2SE 6.0 = 50 (0x32 hex),
J2SE 5.0 = 49 (0x31 hex),
JDK 1.4 = 48 (0x30 hex),
JDK 1.3 = 47 (0x2F hex),
JDK 1.2 = 46 (0x2E hex),
JDK 1.1 = 45 (0x2D hex).

Then verify and make sure classes are compiled at JDK 7 I ran the following:

$ file
kernel/kernel-impl/target/classes/org/sakaiproject/component/impl/BasicConfigurationService.class
kernel/kernel-impl/target/classes/org/sakaiproject/component/impl/BasicConfigurationService.class:
compiled Java class data, version 51.0

Compiled classes at JDK 7:
$find ./ -name \*.class -exec file {} \; | grep "version 51.0" | wc -l
7456

Compiled classes at JDK 6:
[urne at localhost sakai-trunk-all]$ find ./ -name \*.class -exec file {} \; |
grep "version 50.0" | wc -l
770

Compiled classes at JDK 5:
$ find ./ -name \*.class -exec file {} \; | grep "version 49.0" | wc -l
871

There are still some classes at other than JDK 7 so I will do some more
work and dwindle these numbers down.

I did run Sakai in Tomcat 7 and JDK 7 and went through briefly almost every
tool and did not notice any issues.

Earle