[cle-release-team] Sakai 2.9.0-b05 (really b04) released!

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Apr 17 22:35:23 PDT 2012

I'm happy to finally announce the release of the the delayed Sakai b04
release ready for deployment.

http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/2.9.0-b05/artifacts/

Here was the fix for tag which needs to be checked:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK/fixforversion/12740

This issue should have been marked as a KNL and looks like the only new
kernel issue

There are probably Samigo and fixes for other indies in this release.

As I'd mentioned last Thursday, Sakai b04 actually couldn't be released. I
had to scrap that because a master that wasn't updated got into the maven
central repository. There are no take backs from the central repository. So
this is actually the b05 release! I updated the jira version. Kernel was
fine so that's still b04. That can either be bumped next version or just
left behind.

This was all because I'd branched master last week or so to update the
properties but didn't update the SCM block. When the release:perform ran,
it pulled from the scm block which was defined (as 2.9.x). There's no way
to override this and was something I ran into doing releases at Michigan as
well. This bug is filed by someone else as:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MRELEASE-707

I forgot to double check master before it was released to maven central, so
all of the versions in the properties were wrong and based off of the wrong
scm directory. I didn't actually notice anything was wrong until I tried to
build everything (the pack-binary) and it tried to build b03 which was the
${sakai.version} in master.

I've learned a few more things about this release.

1) Double check the release versions (at *least* master and kernel) is
correct before releasing it because there are no take backs.
2) Keep Automating as much as possible

So I have a script on Jenkins now that when it's doing a release it will
run the versions:update-parent and commit this as part of the
release:perform. Before (in the b03) release I couldn't get this working
because I was doing it as part of the release phase and it needs to be done
in the pre-build (or possibly build) phase. It works great there now doing
it before the release steps. I might be able to change the shell script to
be a maven command on Jenkins, but for the moment, everything is working
much better than the b03 release, with less possibility of errors. This
also moves a step closer to letting anyone do a release of a single project.

One current issue with the release is related to Maven central when
artifacts that are required aren't yet published before someone building
them needs them. It seems to take around 4-6 hours to sync everything.

The solutions to this are:
1) Everyone should build from sakai-trunk-all or sakai-2.9.x-all until the
release notice goes out while we're still doing betas.
2) We have a process (a post build step) as part of Jenkins that updates
the parent back to 2.9-SNAPSHOT (a possibility now that wasn't before), so
the release is only momentarily broken

Maybe we can talk about some of this on the call. It broke for someone
today on the sakai-dev list. I think it was "better" for the b03 release
because I was releasing smaller chunks so either they synced faster or they
weren't dependent as quickly.

Ideally we'll also have a process that only releases a tool when it
actually changes, but at the moment it seems like everything is still
changing.

-Matthew