[cle-release-team] Release b04 road bumps

Maurer, Christopher Wayne chmaurer at iupui.edu
Fri Apr 13 05:28:03 PDT 2012

What a bummer.  If you need me to watch/start/verify anything today, let me know.

Chris

From: Matthew Jones <matthew at longsight.com<mailto:matthew at longsight.com>>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 02:16:48 -0400
To: <cle-release-team at collab.sakaiproject.org<mailto:cle-release-team at collab.sakaiproject.org>>
Subject: [cle-release-team] Release b04 road bumps

Okay,

So I released everything and thought it was good to go, until I got to the *VERY END* and the binary artifact (with pack-bin) built with the tag 2.9.0-b03. I was like that doesn't make sense! So I went to actually *look* at the master tag and it had b03 all over the version tags! :(
https://search.maven.org/remotecontent?filepath=org/sakaiproject/master/2.9.0-b04/master-2.9.0-b04.pom

Apparently I'd released it from the b03 branch and called it b04, but the process doesn't update these properties (it's a manual process) and didn't even notice until the very end. Unfortunately this and all of the indies were staged and released to maven central with the wrong parent (and wrong kernel) so that makes b04 a useless tag.  Once something's in maven central there's no way to get it out.

So remove all of the tags,  update Jenkins to point to the right branch, everything looks great, I started to create a b05, got a decent way though again (releasing indies) but then noticed that the <scm> block on master wasn't correct so the wrong master got released, again!! :(  /sigh

So finally I'm waiting for b05 master it takes a couple hours to actually release it and none of the versions can be correctly updated without it. And I have a great process for doing a lot of things automated and the documentation has a lot more warnings in it. ;)

So the short story is, b04 didn't work out in the end and I won't be around much tomorrow and since most of this whole thing at this point is just waiting (Jenkins takes ~2-3 hours to build and release indies, Sonatype takes ~2-3 hours to release them, Binary artifacts take ~2-3 hours to upload) There might not be anything up on a qa until 04/16.