[cle-release-team] Question about kernel patches & do we still have a kernel team?

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Apr 11 13:44:57 PDT 2012

I did some work last week on the zip/unzip feature and doubt anyone will
review it unless I personally poke them, prior to this coordinator coming
on board. Since they seem like they need changes to kernel api's to get to
working efficiently I'm not sure who to ask about this or if we even have a
"kernel team" anymore. I suppose I could send this to the TCC if it's
appropriate. I can mention this as an agenda item tomorrow. Since they
involve "semi security related issues" I'm also not sure how/where to
address them. :)

The specific patch was this one:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-900

I already committed half of this patch in
http://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn?view=revision&revision=106604

To make the unzip function use the kernel service rather than having all of
the duplicated code in the content. However I didn't commit the actual fix
(even though this doesn't change an api) because I'm not on the kernel team.

There were also two other fixes related to zip/unzip which actually allow
the tool to report errors.

One of them was a "nice to have" re-factoring of exceptions, which Matthew
Buckett offered a comment which I agree with
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-912

But I created this one after I had to change the kernel api in
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-911

To actually throw exceptions for "ServiceLevelAction" initializeAction.
Unless this base class throws an exception, the method in FileUploadType
has to catch the exception rather than throwing it, and the error never
makes it to the place where it can be displayed to the user. Ideally though
it wouldn't throw "Exception", it would either throw all 15 or so
exceptions that ContentHostingService can throw or just the much cleaner
"SakaiException" in KNL-912.

Anyway, I'm willing to commit all of this and a full build works without a
problem for me. But I'm just trying to maintain the line that previously
existed between kernel team and "everyone else". So any thoughts on this?
Any objections? Anyone else want to commit it? ;)