[cle-release-team] pom review request

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Wed Dec 21 20:18:57 PST 2011

Removing the <repositories> and <pluginRepositories> elements from the search base pom (and perhaps all indie base poms--I'm assuming this was done universally, though I've not checked) is a mistake in my view, though a well-intentioned one.

For example, I can download and install search-1.4.0-a01 on it's own against an absolutely empty .m2 repo (the same behavior applies for all earlier indie search versions).  External repos are specified.  I've told it where to look to find stuff.  I don't need to check it out into the sakai src folder.  I don't need to check out master first or anything else.

search-1.4.0-b01 is crippled.  Try building it against an empty .m2 (I just tried to build it against my .m2 repo which does not include master-2.9.0-b01).  Since no repos are specified Maven defaults to the super pom (lurking above master) in its attempt to find the <parent> pom.  The super pom defaults to the Maven central repo [1].  Ain't gonna find CLE dependencies there.

search r101783 over-reached in my view.  Not all pom overrides (e.g., described as "cleaning up most duplication") are bad.  <repositories> and <pluginRespositories> were defined in the search base pom for a good reason.  I highly recommend restoring them to all indie poms from which they were removed.

Being able to check out a CLE project such as Search or BasicLTI into any folder on your machine and then build it against an empty .m2 repo is a highly useful trait.

Anth

1.4.0-a01
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/search/tags/search-1.4.0-a01/pom.xml

[1] with no repos specified other than maven central the build fails

Luthuli:search-1.4.x arwhyte$ mvn -X clean install
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
Apache Maven 2.2.1 (r801777; 2009-08-06 15:16:01-0400)
Java version: 1.6.0_29
Java home: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman
OS name: "mac os x" version: "10.6.8" arch: "x86_64" Family: "mac"
[DEBUG] Building Maven user-level plugin registry from: '/Users/arwhyte/.m2/plugin-registry.xml'
[DEBUG] Building Maven global-level plugin registry from: '/opt/maven/apache-maven-2.2.1/conf/plugin-registry.xml'
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[DEBUG] Searching for parent-POM: org.sakaiproject:master:pom:2.9.0-b01 of project: org.sakaiproject.search:search:pom:1.4-SNAPSHOT in relative path: ../pom.xml
[DEBUG] Parent-POM: org.sakaiproject:master:pom:2.9.0-b01 not found in relative path: ../pom.xml
[DEBUG] Retrieving parent-POM: org.sakaiproject:master:pom:2.9.0-b01 for project: org.sakaiproject.search:search:pom:1.4-SNAPSHOT from the repository.
[DEBUG] Trying repository central
[DEBUG] Using Wagon implementation lightweight from default mapping for protocol http
[DEBUG] Checking for pre-existing User-Agent configuration.
[DEBUG] Adding User-Agent configuration.
[DEBUG] Connecting to repository: 'central' with url: 'http://repo1.maven.org/maven2'.
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/sakaiproject/master/2.9.0-b01/master-2.9.0-b01.pom
[DEBUG] Unable to locate resource in repository