[Announcements] University of Amsterdam launches Sakai CLE 2.9 as a MOOC platform

Benneker, Frank W.F.M.Benneker at uva.nl
Mon Jan 21 05:53:10 PST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

The Central Computing Services department of the University of Amsterdam
developed in close co-operation with Edia (Sakai partner) a new MOOC
platform based on Sakai CLE 2.9. This platform will be used to launch the
Universities first MOOC, "Introduction to Communication Science". A
dedicated Course-catalog and self-enrollment tool have been developed for
this platform. Together with Edia we intend to develop several more
functionalities to optimize the MOOC experience in Sakai 2.9 for our
prospective students.

I invite you all to have a look at our MOOC entry page and enclosed in
this e-mail you'll find a press release to spread around your campuses.

In the coming months we intend to tell and write about our experiences
using Sakai CLE as a dedicated MOOC platform.

One can enrol now in the ŒIntroduction to Communication Science¹ study
course via http://mooc.uva.nl

Kind regards,

Frank Benneker

--------------------------------
Frank Benneker
Innovation working group on the use of ICT in Education & Research
University of Amsterdam
(Mobile) Phone : + 31 20 525 4914
@: frank.benneker at uva.nl
UvA hours: Mon-Tue-Wed-Thurs

-- Press Release University of Amsterdam to launch world's first Massive
Open Online Course in Communication Science  ---

University of Amsterdam to launch world's first Massive Open Online Course
in Communication Science

The University of Amsterdam will launch the world¹s first Massive Open
Online Course (MOOC) in Communication Science entitled ŒIntroduction to
Communication Science¹ on 20 February 2013.
Anyone interested in this free course can enrol now.

The online course is taught in English, lasts 8 weeks and covers all
aspects of communication science ­ from history and theory to the
influence of media on society ­ by means of video lectures. Each week the
participants will receive assignments. After successful completion of the
course, the participants receive a certificate from the Communication
Science study programme of the Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences.

The online course entitled ŒIntroduction to Communication Science¹ is an
initiative of the College of Communication and the Graduate School of
Communication Science. In the QS World University Rankings 2012, the
Communication Science programme at the UvA was assessed as the best in
Europe.

According to Dr Martine van Selm, director of the College of
Communication, the MOOC offers Œa new way of reaching secondary school
students, prospective pre-Master¹s students and people working in the
business world.¹

Prof. Peter Neijens, director of the Graduate School of Communication,
said: ŒWe are proud that the MOOC will enable anyone in the world to take
this introductory communication science course. We are pleased to share
the knowledge and experience we have accumulated with others.¹

The University of Amsterdam is developing various initiatives in the field
of ICT in education. More and more lectures can be viewed online via live
stream or afterwards. Developing and experimenting with MOOCs corresponds
with the University¹s desire to make knowledge widely available and show
the appeal of academic study.

Interested parties can enrol now in the ŒIntroduction to Communication
Science¹ study course via http://mooc.uva.nl