[Announcements] Sakai Newsletter March 17, 2011

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Fri Mar 25 05:47:36 PDT 2011

Sakai Newsletter

March 17, 2011

1.  From the Executive Director

2.  Sakai 2011 Conference Information

3.  Jasig-Sakai Joint Working Group Mission and Charter

4.  Google Summer of Code 2011

5.  Register Now for Jasig Spring 2011

6.  New Book about Sakai

7.  New release of Profile2 in the 1.3 Series

8.  1.1 release of the Sakai Connector Portlet

9.  Educational Technology Use Survey

10. Carl Hall Named a Committer on the Apache Sling Project

11. Job Openings with Sakai OAE at UC Berkeley

12. Sakai Developer Position at Samoo in Valencia, Spain

13. Job Opening at the University of Michigan

14. Events

1.  From the Executive Director

At the end of March, Alan Berg, Sakai Foundation QA Director, returns
to his role at the University of Amsterdam. I would like to take this
opportunity to thank Alan for the tremendous work he has done over 16
months, which has included two major and three maintenance releases. I
would also to thank the University of Amsterdam for allowing Alan this
extended secondment. Sakai is built around the collective
contributions of institutions and individuals. Alan's contribution,
which would not have been possible without UvA's commitment, has made
a significant difference to the quality of Sakai software. It has
enhanced the experience of millions of learners, educators and
researchers who use Sakai software. I wish Alan the very best in his
continuing role at Amsterdam.

A number of possibilities exist for structuring QA work going forward.
The approach I outline below continues the approach of the last 18
months, and breaks out QA roles into discrete areas. This is designed
to facilitate greater incremental contribution from institutions with
an interest in improving the quality of Sakai software, without
imposing a significant overall coordination overhead. Whilst this
proposal appears to be the optimal path forward, and has been
discussed and developed by Foundation staff, I'm more than happy to
listen to alternatives and suggested amendments from the broader
community.

Functional Test Coordinator: The recent bug-bashes organised by rSmart
and Marist have begun to have a real impact on Functional testing. To
develop this area further, we need a longer-term coordinator who can
build on this work, soliciting and recruiting further functional
testers.

Automated Test Coordinator: This person should be familiar with
emerging technologies that help capture code defects early in the
development cycle. In the short term the coordinator's effort should
center around leveraging Hudson/Jenkins plugins, reviewing automatic
functional testing. In the longer term, the coordinator will help plan
and build generic infrastructure for a multi-project community.

Performance Test Coordinator: The performance lead will play a
significant role in revitalizing the Performance Workgroup, in
addition to writing and running test plans against Sakai through an
open source product such as Jmeter or Grinder. An understanding of the
underlying Java Frameworks would be of great benefit. Generating a
greater degree of engagement from institutions with an interest in
specific release/database combinations is a strategic priority in this
area.

Overall coordination of QA effort should be collectively organised by
the three coordinators, with a suggested rotating fixed time "point
person". Each of these roles imply a strong, proactive engagement with
other members of the Sakai Community, including the Technical
Coordinating Committee, and those coordinating work to improve
specific capabilities such as accessibility and internationalisation.
Each QA role provides not only a great opportunity to improve the
quality of Sakai software, but also to gain considerable additional
experience in several critical areas of quality assurance. Such
experience could be of considerable broader benefit to the
contributing institution. I would suggest the time commitment
associated with each of the roles lies, on average, between 1 and 2
days per week. This will clearly vary according to the point in any
release schedule.

This proposal has two purposes. The first is to solicit community
contributed resource to continue to improve the quality of our
software. The second is to stimulate discussion around how that
resource is best organised. The current QA structures evolved in a
period when Sakai was a single "product", single project community. We
now have two distinct "products" in the existing Sakai CLE, and the
emerging Sakai Open Academic Environment. As Alan Berg has often, and
rightly, reminded me in recent months, the implications of the Sakai
OAE Hybrid mode are that for QA purposes our community now supports
three  products -- somewhat masked at present by the nature of the OAE
effort as a managed project. As we evolve quality assurance processes
into the future, we need to factor this into thinking and planning,
carefully examining where structures and processes can be applied to
the range of software we develop and support. This is particularly
important in the context of a future, larger foundation with our
colleagues in Jasig, where we should certainly carefully examine
opportunities for economies of scale and increased effectiveness.

As a community, we've made significant progress in QA, but three
"products" imply a larger challenge. We need to meet that challenge by
stepping up resources devoted to quality assurance, and ensuring that
resource is effectively deployed and coordinated.

Please feel free to contact me directly about any aspect of this mail.
I suggest discussion take place on the Sakai Management list.

Best,

Ian Dolphin Executive
Director, Sakai Foundation
iandolphin at sakaifoundation.org

2.  Sakai 2011 Conference Information

The Sakai Foundation is pleased to share the initial information and
call for presentations for the Sakai 2011 conference in Los Angeles.
All conference information will be added to
www.sakaiproject.org/sakai-conference-2011 as it becomes available.

The growth in projects, partners, adoption and engagement in the Sakai
community creates an opportunity to have a remarkable conference this
year. Yet as you can imagine, the move from Berlin to Los Angeles has
compressed the timeline of conference preparations.  Achieving this is
going to require a community effort. If we can each make a small
contribution to the success of the conference and meet the deadlines,
it will be a tremendously successful event that is beneficial to
everyone involved. Please take a few minutes to review the information
and deadlines below.

We would also like to emphasize that the invitation to participate in
the Los Angeles conference, like all Sakai conferences, is a global
invitation. The geographic range of our organizations creates a rich
perspective and experience that is core to the Sakai community and
central to our success. In addition to participating in local Sakai
events, please consider joining the community in Los Angeles.

Request for Presentation Suggestions As a new addition to our process
this year we are seeking information from conference participants
about the session content that they would most like to see included in
the program. What sessions would you like to hear? What topics do you
hope to have covered? Our hope is that community members will share
topics and ideas, and review this list to get ideas for presentation
submissions. If you are attending the conference, please share your
content requests. If you are willing to present, please consider the
requests as you are formulating your presentation proposal. This
information can be submitted and reviewed immediately.

Call for Presentation Proposals We are requesting proposals for
conference sessions, pre-conference workshops, birds of a feather
topics, and showcases/tech demos. Please consider sharing your
expertise in a formal session, or an informal discussion or demo.

Registration and Lodging Registration will open on April 1. This
timeframe is driven by a need to define the pre-conference sessions
prior to opening registration. If we are able to get through this
process more quickly, I will send a message to the list with that
information. You may book a room with the conference rate immediately.

As we begin the process of gathering and reviewing presentation
content I would like to acknowledge the conference committee that is
contributing significant time to bring this together: Chair-Chuck
Powell (Yale University), Brian Dashew (Marist College), Bruce
Sandhorst (University of Nebraska-Lincoln), Debbie Smith (Concentra),
Ian Dolphin (Sakai Foundation), Jenn Cummings (Concentra), John Lewis
(Unicon, Jasig), Joel Thierstein (Rice University, Connexions), Kate
Ellis (Indiana University), Kim Eke (UNC Chapel Hill),  Kim Thanos
(Sakai Foundation), Lance Speelman (Indiana University) Lynn Ward
(IUPUI), Lucy Appert (New York University), Mara Hancock (UC Berkeley,
Opencast), Michelle Ziegmann (UC Berkeley, Opencast), Mary Miles
(Sakai Foundation), Mathieu Plourde (University of Delaware), Rob
Coyle (Johns Hopkins University), Trent Batson (AAEEBL), and Doug
Johnson (University of Florida).

Best,

Kim Thanos
Sakai Foundation Communications Lead
kthanos at sakaifoundation.org

future updates will be distributed and feedback gathered.

In October, the boards of Jasig and the Sakai Foundation announced to
their communities that the two non-profit organizations had decided to
pursue an opportunity to join together to form a new entity that would
"foster the development and use of open source software that supports
the academic mission". More specifically, the resulting foundation
would promote the development and sustainability of multiple open
source projects and communities of practice dedicated to exploring the
use of open source systems, tools, and processes to support teaching,
learning, research, and other aspects of the academic enterprise.
Both boards felt that the similarities in goals, values, and practices
between Sakai and Jasig could form the basis of a combined foundation
which would be capable of providing far greater value to our
communities than the sum of its parts.

To further these efforts, a Jasig-Sakai Joint Working Group (JWG) was
formed and has been reviewing the legal, financial, governance and
other issues that factor into the decision making process.  See below
for the JWG Mission and Charter which has been approved by both boards
and which will provide more details on the work this group is now
engaged in.  It also provides information on a new Google Group the
JWG has created as means to keep our two communities updated on our
work, gather community feedback, distribute JWG meeting minutes and
respond to questions.  We would encourage anyone who is interested in
following the progress of the JWG and providing input into the process
to join the list.

Thanks,

Josh Baron
Chair, Sakai Foundation Board of Directors
Co-Chair, Jasig-Sakai Joint Working Group

---------
Mission and Charter

Since the October announcement, the two boards have formed a Joint
Working Group (JWG) whose mission is to perform the work required to
fully evaluate the processes and models by which we might effectively
bring our two organizations together, seek input and feedback from the
Jasig and Sakai communities, and prepare a detailed proposal for
acceptance by the respective boards of directors and communities.
Specifically, the working group will be responsible for the following:

- Establish procedures for communicating with the Sakai and Jasig
communities to solicit input about the proposed partnership, set up
appropriate avenues for dialog, provide relevant information, and
report periodically on the status of the Joint Committee's work.

- Determine the most effective governance model for the new foundation.

- Reconcile membership models and design a new, optimized model for
institutions, professional affiliates, and commercial entities.

- Develop policies and procedures for organizational and project governance.

- Perform due diligence regarding the mechanics and practicalities of
joining the two organizations (e.g., finances, legal, licensing, etc.).

- Develop budget and staffing models.

- Draft a high-level proposal for additional tasks that would need to
be performed by the new organization, e.g., rationalize
infrastructure, web presence, collaboration environments and tools, etc.

- Develop a detailed proposal for joining the two organizations;
present it to our communities and boards of directors.

The Jasig-Sakai Joint Working Group will meet regularly over the next
several months to work on these activities.  Sub-groups will be formed
to work on specific deliverables.  The group aims to complete its work
by October of 2011.

Community members who have questions or who wish to comment on the
evolving plans are invited to subscribe to the Google Group, "Jasig
Sakai Collaboration". The JWG will periodically post documents,
questions and ideas to this group for community feedback.  If
appropriate, a FAQ will be created to respond to regularly posted
questions.  To subscribe, go to
http://groups.google.com/group/jasig-sakai-collaboration and click on
the "Join This Group" link on the right.

We look forward to working together over the next several months and
invite you to share your thoughts, questions, and concerns about this
process, its objectives, and its deliverables.

Joshua Baron Senior Academic Technology Officer Marist College
Poughkeepsie, New York  12601 (845) 575-3623 (work) Twitter: JoshBaron

4.  Google Summer of Code 2011

Would you like to mentor a student over the summer, working on Sakai
features you're interested in?

Google Summer of Code (GSoC) [0] is here again, and I've got the
go-ahead from Ian at the Foundation to enter Sakai as a mentor
organisation.

If you're on this list you can probably be a mentor.  Why do it?
Apart from the satisfaction of helping a talented student into Sakai
and community source generally, you get a t-shirt and, if you want, an
expenses-paid to the GSoC conference in Mountain View.  Mentoring
depends on you, the project and the student.  It could need 2-3 hours
a week, so you'll want your projects to be useful.

Please propose projects on the ideas page [1] in Confluence.  Take a
look at previous years' ideas pages to get the idea [2, 3].

The way GSoC works is Sakai proposes some ideas and mentors, Google
accepts us as a GSoC org, then students apply to do projects from our
ideas list, or propose their own projects.  We get to choose who we
accept - Google will allocate us a certain number of students, but if
we don't get the right applicants we don't have to use our full
allocation.  Last year we had three students, you can see their
projects on our GSoC blog [4].  I'm happy to do the admin, so as
mentors you just have to do mentoring.  Students get a stipend from
Google and its expected that they'll be working remotely from their
location.

I need to get Sakai's mentor org application in to Google by March
11th, so it would really help me if you post projects before then, but
another deadline is March 28th when students can start applying [5].

Amyas Phillips
amyas at caret.cam.ac.uk

[0] Google Open Source blog
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2011/02/mentoring-organization-applications-now.html
[1] 2011 Ideas page
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/Google+Summer+of+Code+2011+ideas+list
[2] 2009 Ideas page
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/Google+Summer+of+Code+2009+ideas+list
[3] 2010 Ideas page
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/MGT/Google+Summer+of+Code+2010+ideas+list
[4] Sakai GSoC blog
http://sakaigsoc2010.blogspot.com/2010/08/pencils-down-soon.html
[5] GSoC timeline
http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline

5.  Register Now for Jasig Spring 2011 - "Spotlight on Open Source"

Dates: May 23 - 25, 2011
Supplementary Seminars: May 22nd and 25th
Developer Days:  May 26th - 27th

Westin Westminster
10600 Westminster Blvd.
Westminster, CO 80020 USA
Hotel Front Desk: +1-303.410.5000
Toll Free, Reservations only: 1.800.937.8461
Special rate reservation: http://bit.ly/fceB44
The conference program is now available at:
http://www.jasig.org/jasigs-spotlight-open-source (Click the Program
Tab).

Another Keynote announced!
Theresa Rowe, CIO for Oakland University, will share her insights on
working with a university Purchasing Office to develop procedures
putting open source applications on equal footing with proprietary
ones during the procurement process.

Visit the Jasig Conference Site for more information:
http://www.jasig.org/jasigs-spotlight-open-source

Register now!
https://www.concentra-cms.com/c/jasigs-spotlight-open-source  Early
registration rates run out on April 22nd, so don't delay!

The Jasig conference is followed by the InCommon Advance CAMP:
Identity Services Summit 2011, May 25 - 27 (same location, separate
registration) The ACAMP program committee has invited all Jasig
conference attendees to join them for the first half day's sessions on
Wednesday afternoon, at no cost! ACAMP attendees, Jasig invites you to
attend our Wednesday morning sessions, too!
Visit the ACAMP event site for more information:
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/ACAMPIdSummit2011/Home

Two great conferences, one great location! If you register to attend
both the Jasig Conference and Advance CAMP, you are eligible for a $50
refund on EACH of the conference fees. Send an email to
ja-sig at concentra-cms.com when you've completed both registrations and
the card you used will be credited back a total of $100, $50 for each
conference. What a deal!

See you in Denver!

-The Jasig Spring 2011 Program Committee

6.  New Book about Sakai

Dear Sakai Community friends,

I'm very glad to announce you that a new book about Sakai has been
published. You can find a description at:

http://www.agapea.com/libros/SAKAI-ADMINISTRACION-CONFIGURACION-Y-DESARROLLO-DE-APLICACIONES-isbn-8499640672-i.htm

The book is about how to administer and set up a Sakai-based campus
and also describes how to develop applications and services in a Sakai
environment. You'll find there the summarized experience of Daniel
Merino (Universidad Pública de Navarra), Raúl Mengod (Universidad
Politécnica de Valencia) and myself, David Roldán Martínez
(Universidad Politécnica de Valencia and Sakai QA lead for i18n).

March 30th 19.00 GMT+1 a public presentation will take a placeat Casa
del Libro de Valencia (Spain) together with a visit from Ian Dolphin
and Alan Berg(alias the "prologuer") to the Universidad Politécnica de
Valencia and Sakai Spanish Universities (S2U) meeting.  I also would
like to thank Ian and Alan their attendance to the book presentation
and their role as key note speakers during it. Of course, whoever
wants to attend will be welcome.

Cheers,

David Roldan Martinez
darolmar at upvnet.upv.es

PS: ...I'm afraid almost all the text is hardcoded in Spanish so
probably you will suffer some i18n bugs. Please, don't JIRA them.

7.  New Release of Profile2 in the 1.3 Series

Version:
Profile2 1.3.14

Profile2 is a complete re-design and re-development of the existing
Profile tool in Sakai. It gives you more of a Facebook style interface
for editing your profile.

In addition you have a comprehensive set of Privacy controls to allow
you to choose who can see what part(s) of your Profile.

With Profile2 you can post updates (integrated with Twitter), search
for people with common interests, view their profiles, view their
connections, add them as a connection, and much more.

Profile2 can be run seamlessly alongside the existing profile in Sakai
and integrates with the Roster tool.

Works with:
Sakai 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8

Database upgrade:
This release requires a minor database upgrade. You will need to apply
the relevant upgrade script that is located in the /docs/database
directory of the source code, or from here for those using the
automatic binary installation:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/profile2/tags/profile2-1.3.14/docs/database/

Availability:
SVN: https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/profile2/tags/profile2-1.3.14/
Binaries: https://source.sakaiproject.org/maven2/org/sakaiproject/profile2/

Deployers running Sakai 2.7 should perform the following steps to upgrade:
1. Update the <sakai.profile2.version> in $SAKAI_SRC/master/pom.xml to 1.3.14
2. Remove profile2-help-.jar and profile2-api-.jar from
$CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib
3. Rebuild/redeploy the core-deploy project to fetch the new release
and install it into Tomcat
4. Apply the database patch

Deployers building from source should perform the following steps:
1. Checkout the 1.3.14 tag using the SVN link above
2. Remove profile2-help-.jar and profile2-api-.jar from
$CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib
3. Build and deploy the 1.3.14 tag
4. Apply the database patch

Highlights:
This is a maintenance release which fixes a number of minor issues
identified in the 1.3 branch, including phone number validation and UI
display issues. It also adds a Simplified Chinese translation and an
updated Russian translation.

For full details of the features and fixes in this release, see:
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10500&fixfor=11948

And as always, for full installation and configuration instructions,
see: http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PROFILE/Profile2

Known issues:
None

Acknowledgements:
Thanks to the following Sakai community members (in no particular
order) for their involvement in this release:
Alan Berg
Seth Theirault
Gao Jun
Bryan Holladay
Matt Clare
Mike Ozornin

License:
Profile2 is released under the Educational Community License Version 2.0

Steve Swinsburg
steve.swinsburg at gmail.com

8.  1.1 release of the Sakai Connector Portlet

Hi all,

I am very pleased to announce the 1.1 release of the Sakai Connector
Portlet. This portlet implements the IMS Basic LTI specification and
allows a user to render any tool from a Sakai environment, as a full
featured application within uPortal. The portlet is completely user
configurable -- users can choose from what site and what tool they
want to render. Administrators can restrict the rendering of certain
tools as desired.

This release brings a number of new features including remote session
and launch data caching, and improved OAuth signing.

More information including screenshots and a comprehensive
installation guide are available here:

https://wiki.jasig.org/display/PLT/Sakai+Connector+Portlet

Cheers,

Steve Swinsburg
steve.swinsburg at gmail.com

9. Educational Technology Use Survey

Hebrew Union College is putting together a survey to assess technology
use and effectiveness.  Does anyone have a great survey they have used
that we can review?  Or a suggestion for a place we can look?

Please email me directly.  Thanks!

Best,

Kenna Cottrill
kcottrill at huc.edu

10. Carl Hall Named a Committer on the Apache Sling Project

"Hallway Technologies is pleased to announce that our own Carl Hall
has accepted an invitation from the Apache Sling PMC to be named a
committer on the Apache Sling project. We are very proud of Carl's
hard work and dedication to the Sling project, which is a foundation
of Sakai OAE. Please join us in congratulating Carl!

For more information on Sling visit their site:
http://sling.apache.org/ and keep up with all the HT current events by
visiting www.hallwaytech.com/news"

Michelle Hall
Owner
Hallway Technologies
404-513-6616
michelle at hallwaytech.com

11. Job Openings with Sakai OAE at UC Berkeley

UC Berkeley has posted two 12-month positions to work on the Sakai OAE
(nee Sakai 3) project. These are great opportunities for a couple of
talented individuals to influence and make a real contribution to the
development of a future-looking platform. Please pass the word along.

Senior User Experience Designer (UX4)
Job #11962
http://ets.berkeley.edu/jobs/ux-designer

Senior Front-End Web Applications Programmer (AP4)
Job ID #11965
http://ets.berkeley.edu/jobs/sr-web-applications-programmer

To apply, visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu and search using the Job ID
provided above.

Feel free to contact me directly for any additional details. Thanks,

Oliver Heyer
Manager, Learning Systems Group
Educational Technology Services
UC Berkeley
(510) 529-5177
oliver at media.berkeley.edu

12.  Sakai Developer Position at Samoo in Valencia, Spain

Hi all,

We are very close to starting some new Sakai implantation projects,
so we are searching a Sakai developer to work in our company (Samoo). We are
in Valencia (Spain) and the job is here at our office. Valencia is a
beautiful city with a very good quality of life: good beaches for the
summer, good climate all the year, good food, not too expensive,
beautiful people, party, culture, history.  We can talk about remote work in
some specific circumstances (if you are from Colombia it can be possible),
but our interest is to have you with the rest of the team here in Valencia.

- We want someone with at least 2 years of (real) experience
developing for Sakai. We want to know what you have done in Sakai, so
please, tell us in a letter your experience, your studies, what you like to
do.

- We need that you understand Sakai not only as a developer, we need
you to understand the pedagogical part of Sakai too. If you know something
about instructional design it will add an extra score!

- It will be good too (not mandatory) if you have good knowledge
about systems, because we do the installations in the client's systems or in
hosting, not only development.

- In our office we speak Spanish, but we know English too, so
language is not a problem. (Spanish or English. Both is better.)

If we don't know you previously from the list, we will do some test
questions. (Don't be nervous, if you know Sakai you will pass the test
easily.)

We don't have problems about race, nationality or sex. (Women are really
welcome in Samoo ;).  If we finally choose you and you are not form European
Community, we will try to arrange your papers to come here for working. I
imagine that from some countries it will be easier than from others and
maybe this will be impossible in certain cases, but we will try!

What's Samoo?

Samoo is an Spanish company (just in process of becoming a Sakai Commercial
Partner) that is dedicated exclusively to offering Sakai services. We develop
new tools, integrate Sakai with other software, and install Sakai in
different environments. We do support, too, and other related services. We are
working with seven universities in Spain and we have other non-university
customers, too, in Spain and outside Spain (Colombia, Costa Rica and USA).

So, if you are a good Sakai developer, if you want to work in a young company
and grow with us, and you want to come to Spain (we don't take siestas and
we are not all toreros -- that's all false), send your resume to
diego.delblanco at samoo.es and we will talk about details of the work.

Actually this is an open process and we don't have hurry so we don't need
you to change your work tomorrow. You have time to think about this
and talk with us about all the details.

Thanks.

Diego del Blanco Orobitg
Director de operaciones
diego.delblanco at samoo.es
Tlf: 963 936 915 - 653 683 489
www.samoo.es

13. University of Michigan Job Opening: Sakai OAE Quality Assurance Lead

All,

The University of Michigan is seeking an exceptional Quality Assurance
Lead to work on the Sakai OAE project (see position details below).
This position will be hired and paid for by U-M and seconded to the
Sakai Foundation. Although the location indicates Ann Arbor in the
posting, we will consider qualified candidates located elsewhere.

To apply for this position through April 01, 2011 (posting end date),
please visit http://umjobs.org/ and search for Job ID 55911. Please
apply through the U-M employment website.

For more information about building your career at the University of
Michigan, please go to www.UMjobs.org and select "Why Michigan".  A
Non-Discriminatory/Affirmative Action Employer.

This posting may be forwarded provided this preamble and the
information below is included.

Thanks,

Sean DeMonner
demonner at umich.edu

-------------

Job Opening ID: 55911
Working Title: Quality Assurance Analyst Senior/Intermediate
Job Title: QA Analyst Senior
Work Location: Ann Arbor Campus, Ann Arbor, MI
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Regular/Temporary: Regular
Department: ITS AIS Teaching and Learning
Posting Begin/End Date: 3/18/2011 - 4/01/2011
Salary: $53,000.00 - $74,000.00
Career Interest: Information Technology

Quality Assurance Analyst Senior/Intermediate

How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration and should be PAGE ONE of
your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in
the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to
this position. Please include your current or ending salary.

Job Summary
Information and Technology Services (ITS) is seeking a Quality
Assurance Analyst, Senior or Intermediate level, within the Teaching
and Learning department of AIS (Application and Information Services).
This position will end June 30, 2013. The incumbent generally lead
large or multiple small complex quality assurance tasks including the
development and execution of test plans, scenarios, scripts, or
procedures. Documents all problems and assists in their resolution.
Acts as an internal quality consultant to advise or influence business
or technical partners. Conducts effective communication with
co-workers, teams, business offices, and subject matter experts
(SMEs). Effectively presents technical explanations to management,
team members, and users in a way that is understood by all. Provides
training, documentation, guidance and assistance to other staff to
accomplish objectives.

THIS IS AN END-DATED POSITION. POSITION ENDS ON JUNE 30, 2013.

This end-dated position may be filled at the Senior level ($56,000 to
$74,000) or the Intermediate level ($53,000 to $69,000). Starting
salary and position are dependent upon the qualifications and
experience of the selected candidate. The requirements listed below
reflect the Senior level, but those with lesser experience are also
encouraged to apply.

Responsibilities*
Represents the U-M development team's effort to the broader
development team. Works closely with developers all over the world.
Provides status reporting information to local U-M constituencies and
makes presentations to local audiences. Builds coalitions in the Sakai
Community around areas that are of concern to U-M. Drives and
influences development and design in web applications and an open
source context.

Develops, writes, and executes reusable test plans to ensure the
delivery of quality software applications. Develops testing programs
that address areas such as functionality, database impacts,
performance, usability, error or bug retests, security, compatibility,
and scalability. Writes test cases, scenarios, and scripts. Designs
and develops automated testing tools. Documents test procedures to
ensure replicability and compliance with standards.

Develops or specifies standards, methods, or procedures to determine
product quality or release readiness. Acts as a team-wide driver of
quality across the product. Identifies deviance from standards and
suggests modifications to ensure compliance. Works collaboratively
with project management and team members to ensure the planning and
execution of deliverables meet the objectives of the project. Plans
test schedules or strategies in accordance with project scope or
delivery dates. Provides status updates and updates databases and logs
in accordance with established methodologies. Provides input to ensure
the planning and execution of deliverables meet the objectives of the
organization and the customer.

Drives bug bashes and test pushes to ensure product quality. Estimates
staff resource needs for user or third party testing and secures
resources commitments from both within and outside of the
organization. Leads bug review meetings. Monitors bug resolution
efforts and tracks successes. Documents quality issues/software
defects, using a bug tracking system or other established methodology,
and reports issues to developers. Participates in product design
reviews to provide input on functional requirements, product designs,
schedules, or potential problems. Performs initial debugging
procedures by reviewing configuration files, logs, or code pieces to
determine breakdown source.

Required Qualifications*
Bachelors degree in a related field and/or equivalent combination of
education, certification and experience.
4 years of related experience in systems development or system testing.
Web-based client-server application experience and understanding of
state-of-the-art web application design.
Proven ability to lead project teams to meet customer expectations.
Demonstrated understanding of client relationship management.
Understanding of and experience with iterative development methodologies.
Experience in at least two of these areas: Security, Performance, Test
Automation, Accessibility, and Globalization.
Experience in some or all of Java, JavaScript, JSON, Apache Sling,
Jackrabbit, Lucene.

Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
Demonstrated successful performance with, giving presentations to both
small and large audiences.
Proficient with word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
Excellent analytical and independent problem solving skills.
Ability to work independently and assume a broad range of responsibility.
Demonstrated ability to learn new software and methodologies.
Demonstrated ability to understand technical information and
communicate it to others using clear, concise, and user-friendly
language.
Strong organizational skills and the ability to successfully complete
multiple tasks within established and changing deadlines.
Ability to contribute and collaborate effectively as a member of a
highly-functioning and productive team.

Desired Qualifications*
Ability to play an active role in the U-M local Sakai Open Academic
Environment (OAE) efforts including:
-Represent U-M development team's effort to the broader development team.
-Provide status reporting information to local U-M constituencies and
make presentations to local audiences.
Ability to design and test efforts on U-M focused development work,
including Hybrid Mode LTI integration between Sakai Collaboration and
Learning Environment (CLE) and OAE.
Experience using quality control of entire OAE product.
Ability to build coalitions/relationships in Sakai Community and
around areas such as Hybrid Mode, scaling, integration, etc.

U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action
employer.

Sean DeMonner
Assistant Director
Teaching & Learning, AIS, ITS
3350 Duderstadt Center
University of Michigan
demonner at umich.edu
(734) 615-9765

14. Events

Jasig's "Spotlight on Open Source"
Monday, May 23 through Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Westin Westminster Hotel, Westminster, CO

Sakai North American Conference
June 14 -16, 2011
Westin Bonaventure, Los Angeles.
June 13 and 16 - pre-conference workshops and project coordination meetings
www.sakaiproject.org/sakai-conference-2011