[Announcements] Sakai 2011 Conference Information

Kim Thanos kthanos at sakaifoundation.org
Mon Mar 14 15:52:19 PDT 2011

The Sakai Foundation is pleased to share the initial information and call
for presentations for the Sakai 2011 conference in Los Angeles. All
conference information will be added to
www.sakaiproject.org/sakai-conference-2011 as it becomes available.

The growth in projects, partners, adoption and engagement in the Sakai
community creates an opportunity to have a remarkable conference this year.
Yet as you can imagine, the move from Berlin to Los Angeles has compressed
the timeline of conference preparations.  Achieving this is going to require
a community effort. If we can each make a small contribution to the success
of the conference and meet the deadlines, it will be a tremendously
successful event that is beneficial to everyone involved. Please take a few
minutes to review the information and deadlines below.

We would also like to emphasize that the invitation to participate in the
Los Angeles conference, like all Sakai conferences, is a global invitation.
The geographic range of our organizations creates a rich perspective and
experience that is core to the Sakai community and central to our success.
In addition to participating in local Sakai events, please consider joining
the community in Los Angeles.

Request for Presentation
Suggestions<https://secure.facilitate.com/4DAction/FC/AccessMain?User-N1N5*ODX2>
As a new addition to our process this year we are seeking information from
conference participants about the session content that they would most like
to see included in the program. What sessions would you like to hear? What
topics do you hope to have covered? Our hope is that community members will
share topics and ideas, and review this list to get ideas for presentation
submissions. If you are attending the conference, please share your content
requests. If you are willing to present, please consider the requests as you
are formulating your presentation proposal. This information can be
submitted and reviewed immediately.

Call for Presentation
Proposals<http://www.sakaiproject.org/sakai-conference-2011/presentations>
We are requesting proposals for conference sessions, pre-conference
workshops, birds of a feather topics, and showcases/tech demos. Please
consider sharing your expertise in a formal session, or an informal
discussion or demo.

Registration and
Lodging<http://www.starwoodmeeting.com/StarGroupsWeb/booking/reservation?id=1102050246&key=D4A27>
Registration will open on April 1. This timeframe is driven by a need to
define the pre-conference sessions prior to opening registration. If we are
able to get through this process more quickly, I will send a message to the
list with that information. You may book a room with the conference rate
immediately.

As we begin the process of gathering and reviewing presentation content I
would like to acknowledge the conference committee that is contributing
significant time to bring this together: Chair-Chuck Powell (Yale
University), Brian Dashew (Marist College), Bruce Sandhorst (University of
Nebraska-Lincoln), Debbie Smith (Concentra), Ian Dolphin (Sakai Foundation),
Jenn Cummings (Concentra), John Lewis (Unicon, Jasig), Joel Thierstein (Rice
University, Connexions), Kate Ellis (Indiana University), Kim Eke (UNC
Chapel Hill),  Kim Thanos (Sakai Foundation), Lance Speelman (Indiana
University) Lynn Ward (IUPUI), Lucy Appert (New York University), Mara
Hancock (UC Berkeley, Opencast), Michelle Ziegmann (UC Berkeley, Opencast),
Mary Miles (Sakai Foundation), Mathieu Plourde (University of Delaware), Rob
Coyle (Johns Hopkins University), Trent Batson (AAEEBL), and Doug Johnson
(University of Florida).

Best,
Kim Thanos

--
Kim Thanos | Sakai Foundation Communications Lead | 503-816-4721 |
kthanos at sakaifoundation.org