[Announcements] Sakai Newsletter July 1, 2011

Margaret Wagner mwagner at umich.edu
Fri Jul 15 08:54:37 PDT 2011

Sakai Newsletter

July 1, 2011

1.  Sakai CLE Internationalization and Localization Improvement Process

2.  Book Release: "Sakai CLE Courseware Management"

3.  EuroSakai 2011 "Focusing on European Adoption" 26 - 28 September

4.  Columbia University Transitions Course Management System to Sakai CLE

5.  Book Review - "Sakai: Free as in Freedom" by Charles Severance

6.  Instructional Technology (at Virginia Tech) in 2020

7.  OpenSyllabus First Release!

8.  University of Virginia Upgrades to Sakai 2.7.1

9.  Gradebook2 v1.5.0 Released

10. Sakai CLE Polls 1.3.12 Released

11. Sakai Checklist Tool

12. Strengthen Your Sakai Skills this Summer with rSmart's Sakai
Summer Bootcamp

13. Job Opening: Marist College Seeking Instructional Designer

14. Recent Email Group Discussions

15. Events

1. Sakai CLE Internationalization and Localization Improvement Process

Representatives of the Japanese (Shoji Kajita), Spanish (David Roldán
Martínez), and French (Jean-François Levêque) Sakai communities
working closely with other members of the Sakai Community have planned
more joint work on internationalization (i18n) and localization
(l10n). The main challenges proposed are the following:

(1) Set an i18n bug fixing plan
- We will announce the to the community the plan and ask for feedback.
Ja Sakai (Japanese Sakai Community), French and S2U (Spanish Sakai
Universities) are going to review known remaining i18n bugs and
prioritize them in "bug packages".
- We will set timelines for "bug packages" and start bug fixing process.
- We will send the final plan and monthly updates summarizing the work done.

(2) I18n WG on Confluence
- We will take Chuck Severance's idea of creating an i18n School and
we'll use Confluence as support.
- We will design new confluence structure making it more flexible,
efficient and useful. This should be completed by the end of July.
- We will identify main use cases and request community feedback. This
should be done by the end of July.

Dear Sakai developers, please let us know your proposals. We would
love to hear what you would like to know about internationalizing your
code.

- Universitat Politècnica de València will record a set of videos
explaining i18n best-practices and tutorials about the main uses cases
formerly identified. This should be done by the end of this year.
- Provide content to i18n school. This is a continuous process.

(3) I18n support
- We have been meeting some tool and project leaders and have
established an explicit action plan to audit and report their tools
and projects from the i18n point of view. Currently, we are going to
help Samigo (indie project), Lesson Builder (contrib tool to be
included at 2.9), Message Center (indie project), XWiki (contrib
tool), OSP tools, and all the tools under MT responsibility. If others
are interested on having code review (and having help, if needed or
requested) or you want to collaborate with us, please let us know. A
scheduled time is pending.
- Resurrect i18n at collab.sakaiproject.org making an intensive use of the list..
- Japanese community has offered Benten, which enables us to use
Translation Memory as a standard tool for translations. If you want
contribute with a translation, please, let us know.

We also would like to acknowledge and sincerely thank TCC, MT and
Sakai Board members together with tool/project teams for their support
and their willingness to collaborate. Additionally, we would like to
thank Beth Kirscher for her suggestions, ideas and guidance.

And remember,
- if you own a project and volunteer for its i18n review and
improvement with our help, or
- if you are translating or updating i18n resources including Java
property files and you need help, or
- if you have any question about i18n/l10n or would like to contribute
to this improvement process,

please contact us on i18n at collab.sakaiproject.org

Best Regards,

The i18n Team

- David Roldán Martínez
- Jean-François Leveque
- Shoji Kajita)

i18n at collab.sakaiproject.org

2. Book Release:  "Sakai CLE Courseware Management"

The Sakai Foundation and PACKT publishers are proud to announce the
Sakai CLE Courseware Management book. This is the official guide to
the Sakai CLE.

http://www.packtpub.com/sakai-cle-courseware-management-for-elearning-research/book

This book is the officially endorsed Sakai guide and is an update to
the previous book, Sakai Courseware Management: The Official Guide.
 From setting up and running Sakai for the first time to creatively
using its tools and features, this book delivers everything you need
to know.

Written by Alan Berg, a Sakai fellow and former Quality Assurance
Director of the Sakai Foundation, and Ian Dolphin, the Executive
Director of the Sakai Foundation, with significant contributions from
the Sakai community, Sakai CLE Courseware Management: The Official
Guide is a comprehensive study of how Sakai CLE should be used,
managed, and maintained, with real world examples and practical
explanations.

Many thanks go to this hard working community credited in the book
including Josh Baron, Michael Fieldstein, Tony Atkins, Steven
Swinsburg, and Margaret Wagner who is a solid support for any budding
book writer. Finally, let's not forget the PACKT crew including Mohd
Sahil, Reshma Sundaresan and Joel Goveya. Good team work.

A press release from the publisher will follow in the next newsletter.

Alan Berg

Group Education and Research Services
Central Computer Services
University of Amsterdam
A.M.Berg at uva.nl

3. EuroSakai 2011 "Focusing on European Adoption"  26 - 28 September

Hello Everybody!!

Sakai is returning to Amsterdam for 2011 edition of EuroSakai.  It
will be held on the same beautiful waterfront as the 2007 Sakai
conference.

The main theme of EuroSakai 2011 is "Focusing on European Adoption".
Over the past years, Sakai has seen increased adoption by institutions
and the community has grown steadily. However, the adoption of Sakai
in Europe lags behind, particularly in comparison to Northern America.
At the same time, higher and tertiary education in Europe are also
confronted with budget constraints, and the end of many existing
product licenses. A number of European institutions that had
previously not considered open source software are now starting to
give it serious consideration. Awareness of the benefits and
flexibility of open source, and the possibility of collaborating
between renowned institutions needs to be fostered in Europe.
Meanwhile, policy makers such as the European Commission Digital
Agenda are encouraging use of open standards and open source software.
All summed up, the conference takes place at a time of great
opportunities for Sakai.

Conference Themes:
We encourage the presentations to fit within one of the following
themes. However, other suggestions are also welcome.

- Adopting Sakai, Best Practices in Implementation, Support, and Teaching
- Expanding in Europe, New Audiences
- Quality Assurance in Code and Practice
- Internationalisation and Localisation
- Innovation in Education and Technology

The registration fee is 100 EUR for Foundation Members and 125 EUR for
Non-Members.

More Information and a link to the registration page are available on
the sakaiproject.org website:
http://sakaiproject.org/news/eurosakai-2011-amsterdam-netherlands

If you are planning to attend this conference, please visit the
website and register as soon as possible. We also send a special
invitation to all the (South-) African & Middle East Sakai members to
join the conference.

About PRESENTATION & WORKSHOP PROPOSALS:
We need all your collaboration for the conference presentations,
please. If you think you have any good experience to talk about, a new
tool to show, or good practices you want to share, please think about
doing a presentation in the conference.

Presentation proposals can be sent to the conference e-email address:
proposals at eurosakai.nl

Additional information, registration, programme and forms for call for
proposals on the conference website:

http://communities.uva.nl/portal/site/6f062541-29d2-40a0-a9dc-80d1b4a13b1a

More Information:
Please contact us at: info at eurosakai.nl

On behalf of organizing committee,

See you in Amsterdam!

Frank Benneker (UvA)
frank.benneker at uva.nl

Jaeques Koeman (Edia)
jaeques at edia.nl

4. Columbia University Transitions Course Management System to Sakai CLE

Columbia University (CU) has begun transitioning its entire course
management system, CourseWorks, onto the Sakai CLE Technology
platform. Sakai already has been successfully piloted during the last
six years at Columbia and is currently used by professors, students
and administrators in 200 courses each term.  The piloted user
community has determined that the Sakai technology offers the robust
set of tools required to provide state-of-the-art online learning and
information sharing.

The transition to the Sakai platform that will launch the new CU
CourseWorks will be completed during the next four school terms,
starting September 2011. The first courses moving in Fall Term 2011
are from the schools of Medicine, Public Health, Nursing and Dental
Medicine; the School of Social Work; and the departments of
Anthropology and Statistics. By May 2013, all of the University's
schools will transition to new CourseWorks.

Columbia University is a member of the Sakai Foundation Partners
Program since 2004.  Columbia has maintained an active role in Sakai
community development work and hosts a QA server.

For further information on Columbia University's transition to Sakai
CLE, contact Maneesha Aggarwal, Manager, Teaching and Learning
Technologies, at Maneesha at columbia.edu.

Maneesha Aggarwal
Maneesha at columbia.edu

5. Book Review - "Sakai: Free as in Freedom" by Charles Severance

Here is a great book review written by Alan Berg of Chuck Severance's book:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/book_review_sakai_free_freedom_written_charles_severance

6. Instructional Technology (at Virginia Tech) in 2020

Greetings All,

During the spring semester, Virginia Tech (VT) convened a task force
to develop a vision for instructional technology at VT in 2020.  We
have posted our findings along with multimedia resources at:

http://blogs.is.vt.edu/inventthefuture2020.

We invite your comments and feedback on this blog and will include
community input as we move towards this vision.

A couple of key points:

- The future of instructional technology will involve a network of
changes spanning across the institution including pedagogy,
assessment, organizational systems, and incentives for innovation that
is much broader than instructional technology.

- The case for change is here today and actually significant changes
are happening now.  See the cloud tag "Pew" for a presentation by Lee
Rainie, Director, Pew Internet Project, for compelling stats.

We hope to see you there and thanks for your input!

Marc Zaldivar, Ph.D.
Director, ePortfolio Initiatives
Learning Technologies Virginia Tech
marcz at vt.edu

7. OpenSyllabus First Release!

HEC Montréal is proud to announce the release of the first Contrib
version of OpenSyllabus.

OpenSyllabus is an easy-to-use course site authoring tool that
organizes quickly all the resources (files, citations, etc.) and tools
(Assignments, Tests & Quizzes, etc.) to provide clear guidance to
students in their learning. OpenSyllabus has many other nice features
including the integration with announcements and the creation of PDF
versions.

Screencast:
http://vimeo.com/24932699

Confluence page:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/OSYL/Contrib+OpenSyllabus

Works with:
Sakai 2.6.1, 2.7.1

Project dependencies:
To have OpenSyllabus up and running you will need to install the
JSP-ADAPTER project. This project allows OpenSyllabus to be loaded in
Sakai. If you don't install it you will have an error when Tomcat
deploys.
HEC version of SDATA comes also with the OpenSyllabus source code.
When you deploy, the sdata.war file is deposited in your
Tomcat/webapps folder. Our version of SDATA allows you to use the
document browser and the citations browser.

You can remove the war file if you don't want to use the sdata but the
mentioned functionalities above won't be available.

Installation:
SVN: https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/opensyllabus/tags/2.7.1
Binaries: http://osyltest.hec.ca/opensyllabus.tar.bz2

1. Download Jsp-Adapter:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/caret/sakai-jsp-adapter/tags/sakai-jsp-adapter-0.10-K1
2. Install Jsp-Adapter: mvn clean install.
3. Download OpenSyllabus using the SVN link or the binary link.
4. Install and deploy OpenSyllabus: mvn clean install sakai:deploy
-Dmaven.tomcat.home=%CATALINA_HOME%

Contact information:
opensyllabus at hec.ca

License:
OpenSyllabus is released under the Educational Community License Version 2.0..

Jacques Raynauld
jacques.raynauld at hec.ca
OpenSyllabus Team

8. University of Virginia Upgrades to Sakai 2.7.1

The UVaCollab (Sakai) team at the University of Virginia is pleased to
announce our successful upgrade to Sakai 2.7.1 on Tuesday, June 21,
2011. We have upgraded from version 2.6.x. We invite the Sakai
community to review our "What's New" guide for a description of new
features that this upgrade brings to our instance of Sakai:

https://collab.itc.virginia.edu/portal/site/!gateway/page/b0f44cbc-054a-48d5-90ef-f0dfba383007

Contact Trisha Gordon if you would like to know more about UVa's
upgrade process.

Trisha Gordon
UVaCollab User Support Manager
collab-support at virginia.edu

9. Gradebook2 v1.5.0 Released

We have released gradebook2 v1.5.0:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/gradebook2/tags/1.5.0

Best,

Thomas Amsler
UC Davis
tpamsler at ucdavis.edu

8. Sakai CLE Polls 1.3.12 Released

A new version of Polls  1.3 has been released.  This is primarily a
bug-fix release aimed at supporting production deployments at the
University of Michigan and Cape Town.

Version:
polls-1.3.12

Highlights:
This is a maintenance release that includes bug fixes that may be
desirable to the community.

For full details of fixes in this release, see:

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=10582&version=12188

For general info, see:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/POLL/Home

Works with:
Sakai 2.7  (tested against sakai-2.7.x)

Database upgrade:
There is no database upgrade required that is specific to this release.

Availability:
Tag: https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/polls/tags/polls-1.3.12/

Binaries:
http://source.sakaiproject.org/maven2/org/sakaiproject/polls/

2.7.x maintenance branch deploys msgcntr-2.7.4 as of r90848.

Installation:
I. Deployers running Sakai 2.7 should perform the following steps to upgrade:
- 1. Update the property <sakai.polls.version> in
$SAKAI_SRC/master/pom.xml to 1.3.12
- 2. Remove the following Polls folders and files from Tomcat:

                     $CATALINA_HOME/webapps
                   polls-too.war
                  /polls-tool

                    $CATALINA_HOME/shared/lib/
                  polls-api-*.jar
                  polls-hbm-*.jar
                  polls-help-*.jar

                   $CATALINA_HOME/components
                 /polls-pack

- 3. Rebuild/redeploy the core-deploy project to fetch the new release
and install it into Tomcat

II. Deployers building from source should perform the following steps:
- 1. Checkout the 1.3.12 tag using the SVN link above
- 2. Remove the Message and Forums folders and files from Tomcat as
described ABOVE.
- 3. Build and deploy the 1.3.12 tag

Known issues:
None

Acknowledgements:
Thanks to the following Sakai community members (in no particular
order) for their involvement in this release:

Development/QA/Release
Alan Berg, Sakai Foundation
Anthony Whyte, Sakai Foundation
Steve Swinsburg, Australian National University
David Horwitz, University of Cape Town
Matthew Buckett, Oxford
Jean-François Lévêque, University Pierre and Marie Curie, Paris
Zhen Qian, University of Michigan
Gao Jun, Fudan

License:
Polls is released under the Educational Community License Version 2.0

David Horwitz
david.horwitz at uct.ac.za

11. Sakai Checklist Tool

Hello,

At University of Michigan we have been working on a generalized Sakai
Checklist Tool to allow users to create and manage checklists of
various types.

General Overview:
The Checklist tool is based on the University of Michigan's (UM) Grad
Tools, which is a checklist that is set up to help doctoral students
navigate and keep track of the complex series of steps that are
required in pursuing a PhD.  UM Grad Tools is used as a tool within
CTools (UM's Sakai implementation) and it exists in its own site.
While GradTools is designed for an academic use, a checklist can be
used for any process that can be defined in steps.

Checklists are not site-specific; they can be added to any site. They
are created and then shared with those who will use them to track
progress. They can also optionally be shared with users who will make
additional changes, such as adding more steps, before they, in turn,
share them with the final users. Checklists can be set up so that the
completion of steps is viewed, approved, and checked off by someone
who is not the checklist's user. As an example, a faculty member may
approve steps completed by a student.

For more information, visit:

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/GT/Home

Savitha Prakash
savithap at umich.edu

12. Strengthen Your Sakai Skills this Summer with rSmart's Sakai
Summer Bootcamp

Don't let your Sakai skills go to waste just because school is out!
rSmart is hosting a free one-hour training on a variety of topics
every week in the month of July for those that want to strengthen
their skills or just want to learn more about a tool within Sakai!

For more information, go to: http://www.rsmart.com/sakai/bootcamp

Week 3: Test and Quizzes
July 22, 2011
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM PDT

Week 4: Gradebook2
July 29, 2011
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM PDT

Megan Perrone
mperrone at rsmart.com

13. Job Opening: Marist College Seeking Instructional Designer

Marist College is seeking applicants for the full-time position of
Instructional Designer. This position will report to the Assistant
Director of Academic Technology and eLearning and play a central role
in helping the college achieve new strategic goals associated with
distance education and using instructional technologies to enhance the
teaching and learning experience. The position will provide faculty
with pedagogical and instructional design consultation related to
course, module, and whole curriculum development activities for
traditional, online, and hybrid courses.  More details and application
can be found at:

http://jobs.marist.edu

Joshua Baron
Director, Academic Technology and eLearning
Marist College
Josh.Baron at marist.edu

14.  Recent Email Group Discussions

Building a new service - Advice on AutoDDL needed
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Building-a-new-service---Advice-on-AutoDDL-needed-to31966709.html#a31966709

Sakai 2.8 - Which institutions have upgraded already?
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Sakai-2.8---Which-institutions-have-upgraded-already--to31965296.html#a31965296

Bug in Firefox 4 and 5 in Samigo
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Bug-in-Firefox-4-and-5-in-Samigo-to31912109.html#a31912109

[Building Sakai] Logs on nightly2
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Logs-on-nightly2-to31963797.html#a31963797

Alert:  Moving spring-webmvc out of shared
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Alert%3A--Moving-spring-webmvc-out-of-shared-to31953323.html#a31953323

JSTL in shared
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--JSTL-in-shared-to31961700.html#a31961700

Sakai Search Tool 2.6
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Sakai-Search-Tool-2.6-to31961196.html#a31966329

Sakai Maven Archetype
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Sakai-Maven-Archetype-to31959541.html#a31959541

peer marking
http://old.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?query=peer+marking&local=y&forum=18101&daterange=0&startdate=&enddate=

How to disable the default +Add Tool
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--How-to-disable-the-default-%2BAdd-Tool-to31942703.html#a31942703

Error starting 2.8.x
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Error-starting-2.8.x-to31949728.html#a31949728

Sakai Sharing Contents
http://old.nabble.com/forum/Search.jtp?query=+Sakai+Sharing+Contents&local=y&forum=18101&daterange=0&startdate=&enddate=

Bug in Firefox 4 and 5 in Samigo
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Bug-in-Firefox-4-and-5-in-Samigo-to31912109.html#a31912109

Sakai App Builder
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Sakai-App-Builder-to31935791.html#a31935791

Tapestry 5 Integration with Sakai
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Tapestry-5-Integration-with-Sakai-to31926867.html#a31926867

Learning from Google+?
http://old.nabble.com/-DG%3A-User-Experience--Learning-from-Google%2B--to31965478.html#a31965478

Using AssignmentService
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Using-AssignmentService-to31944799.html#a31944799

Search Function and Question Pool
http://old.nabble.com/-Building-Sakai--Search-Function-and-Question-Pool-to31858937.html#a31858937

15.  Events

AuSakai 2011 "Towards an Open Academic and Collaborative Environment"
Tuesday 13 & Wednesday 14 September, 2011
The Australian National University, Canberra
Networking Dinner: 13 September 2011
http://ausakai.anu.edu.au

EuroSakai 2011 "Focusing on European Adoption"
September 26, 27, and 28, 2011
Amsterdam
http://communities.uva.nl/portal/site/6f062541-29d2-40a0-a9dc-80d1b4a13b1a